7.

1 month forward...

Veronica PoV

I tiptoe down the stairs, eyes searching for a weapon.  I had woken up suddenly to Max being in the shower.  However, he was still upstairs and I'd grown cautious, hearing the sporadic crashes in the kitchen.  I yank on one of Max's t-shirts, feeling it hit my upper thighs.  I stroll into the kitchen and find her searching for the sugar.  Sighing in relief, I reach over and smack her round the head.

"Oi, what are you doing in my house?" She turns and looks guilty and I pull the handle of the pull-out cupboard, handing her the sugar.

"I thought it would be nice for us to all have breakfast together as a family."  She shifts guiltily and I roll my eyes.

"In my house?  Why did you..." I trail off realising that we weren't alone.

"Um, hi Roxie.  What are you doing here?" He scratches the back of his head awkwardly and attempts to cover up the fact that he is only in boxers by standing behind me.

"I could ask you the same question."  Her voice is surprisingly cold and she turns to me with an icy stare.  "So, what is he doing here, Ronica?  Got a little bored did we?"  I almost growl at her tone but then realise her ignorance.

"No.  We have been together for the past year.  He's been the mystery guy all along.  And he's the daddy." My tone is as cold as hers and his hands gently circle my waist.

"Well then.  You might want to put some clothes on, they'll be here in a bit."  Max frowns at me and I grab his hand, dragging him upstairs and redressing in silence.  He sits there for a minute on the bed and awaits my explanation.

"I think it's time Max." He smiles and hugs me. "I'll go and announce it and I'll come get you from the sitting room once I'm ready.  Ok?" He nods and I head downstairs.  My mum and dad arrive and we sit at the table, chatting aimlessly.  Soph arrives with my little munchkin and I hug him tight then stand up.

"I want to make a quick announcement.  I'm pregnant." My dad looks slightly irritated and Soph looks happy.  Rox already knew and my mum looks surprised but quite happy.  "Also, the father is just next door.  Now Bobby, this is your daddy as well."  I go next door, grab Max and walk back to the sitting room.  My dad immediately looks angry and Rox and my mum look slightly disgusted.  Soph looks shellshocked as does Bobby.

"Milly?  You're my daddy.  But mumma said you weren't.  Why did you lie Mumma?"  Bobby turns to me with tears in his eyes.  My dad rises from his seat and walks over to the window, looking out with his fists clenched.

"Bobby, do you wanna come with m next door?  We can go play lego!"  Soph grabs his hand and takes him next door and my dad turns around.

"What.  The.  Hell.  Were you thinking?"  His voice holds so much anger and it is terrifying.  "What gave you the actual right to bonk my daughter?  And what gave you the right to knock her up as well?  You are going to stay far away from her.  Very far away."  He grabs Max's arm and tries to drag him out.

"No."  He freezes and turns his gaze to me.

"You, you disgusting slut.  I cannot believe you.  Now, I'm gonna fix this and you are gonna do as you are goddamn told for once in your life!"  He screams at me.

"No." He slaps me straight across the face and I fall to the ground at the force.  I stand up and look him straight in the eye. "You don't dictate me anymore.  I make my own decisions.  I need Max.  And he is staying around.  Stop trying to 'fix' things.  All you do is hurt me.  Just stop."  He aims a punch at my cheek but this time I dodge and grab his arm, holding it tight. "You can't hurt me anymore.  Slapping me around because I don't fit your standards.  That may have worked when I was a kid.  But not now.  So grow up.  And stop."  I release his arm and he storms out of the house, slamming the door hard behind him.

"Right, who wants coffee?" I turn to leave but my mum's voice stops me.

"Sit down now." I sit down with a sigh, Max staying behind me with his hands on my shoulders.  "Now explain to me why and how this happened."

"When I was 22, I realised that if I was to work at the farm, I needed all my baby-making done by the time I was 25.  I was financially stable and ready.  I was close to Max as a friend and, due to a personal issue, he wished to have a baby.  So, we made an agreement, he would be my sperm donor.  We conceived Bobby and he was born.  Last year, I made the mistake of sleeping with Charlie in the February.  From then on, he followed me like a lovesick puppy.  It began to get serious in the May.  Max began to help me and comfort me, and eventually, we slept together.  This thing with Charlie continued and me and Max got closer.  Eventually, he was coming over every night and holding me, not sleeping together, just holding me.  We eventually began sleeping together in the August and continued onwards.  In February, we decided to begin trying for a baby.  And here we are with me being knocked up."

"What was the personal issue?"

"It really doesn't ma..." I begin but Max interrupts.

"I thought I had cancer.  Well, I had felt a bit odd and went to the doctor.  He sent off some tests and they came back inconclusive.  I really thought I was gonna die and I realised that no real part of me would be left behind.  So I was readying myself to donate to a sperm bank.  And coincidentally, Ron needed me.  So Bobby was born." His voice wobbles uncertainly at points and I lean back into his hands.  My mother's face is uneven, she seems confused, sympathetic and saddened but still angry.  I don't understand why, I am happy and protected (ish) so why the angry face?

"Ronnie, what you've done is your dad's worst nightmare.  You don't understand how much he has prepared against this.  What he wasn't expecting was for you to get knocked up, it's skewed all his plans.  It's not going to be easy and it most definitely won't ever be the same.  He's not going to accept your relationship, I can tell you that now.  You are just going to have to get by.  Now, I'll try and talk to him, you lot stay here and try and explain it to Bobby.  I'll see you later." She stands up and leaves, leaving us in silence.  Rox is staring at me with narrowed eyes then suddenly smirks.  She stands and walks straight up to Max.

"Payback is evil Ronica.  Now Max, if you hurt my sister in any way, I will rip you to shreds.  Any damage, physical or mental, I will hang you by your balls from the top of the cherrypicker.  Are we clear?"  She continues smirking at Max's swift nod and I roll my eyes at the less violent parody of the speech I gave to Jase when he proposed to Rox.

"Ok, that will do.  Now go and play with Nellie at your house, and take Soph with you.  I've got to explain this to Bobby." Her and Soph exited my house shortly and we walked into the sitting room.

"Landon Morgan William Solihull, what is this mess!"  Bobby looks up guiltily and gives me an angelic smile, which I ignore. "You are going to clear this up mister, after I have talked to you.  Now sit on the sofa like a good boy."  He quickly jumps on the sofa and I join him, leaving Max leaning against the doorpost.

"Right sweetie.  The reason I didn't tell you that Milly is your daddy is because we weren't together then and I didn't want to confuse you.  I thought it was better to tell you that you didn't have a daddy so you wouldn't get upset if Milly was to go away or if I got you a new daddy.  But Milly is your real daddy.  And we are together now.  Is that ok?"  He nods a bit uncertainly and we hug quickly.  Everything is fine.  For now at least.