Hush Little Baby

The night air was cool as it leaked in through the barely-open window, making a gentle sound as it lapped calmly through the small gap. Nothing else could be heard in the large room as the bliss of night fell over it. The room was draped in a blanket of natural darkness except from a dim beam of light which fell over the bed, brought in by the moon. The scene was peaceful and beautiful, a deep contrast to how it had been just a few hours ago.

Under the moonlight, a couple were sprawled on the bed, tangled between the sheets and between each other's limbs. The dark sheets where sprawled over them both, wrapping round her shoulders and falling just above his hips, exposing his chest, as they lay together peacefully. The woman lay cradled in the arms of her husband, his right arm bulging as he bent it to allow his wife to rest her head comfortably. Her hand was resting on his chest, just over his right pectoral and her mouth was gently pressed against the skin of his shoulder. Their legs were entwined and tangled in the sheets, having fallen asleep quickly earlier, after a passionate night of lovemaking.

Suddenly, a sound erupted in the open space, it couldn't quite be labelled as loud, but it definitely broke the silence within the bedroom. A few more sounds began to flow now, slowly increasing in loudness as they carried on.

Slowly, the couple began to stir, becoming aware of the sounds being made. Just as the woman began to sit up, the man laid a large hand on her shoulder and rolled over to kiss her deeply, effectively immobilizing her and pushing her back down.

"I'll go" He whispered against her skin as he pressed gently kisses to her shoulder and collar bone. She smiled gently and settled back down, not before flipping over her pillow to snuggle into the cold side.

The man dutifully climbed out of the bed, stretching slightly as he rose, before squinting in the darkness trying to locate his long forgotten boxers and pyjama pants that were practically ripped off in the throes of their lovemaking. He quickly located them and slipped into them with ease, before creeping around the side of the bed and out into the hall.

He padded down the hall lightly, using his hunter instincts to guide him as he walked towards the white wooden door which was illuminated by the moonlight streaming through the large window on the hall. The moonlight was much stronger here due to the position of the beautiful crescent moon which was perfectly framed by the white window frame.

As he approached the door, he grasped the handle gently and slowly crept into the room which was pitch black. He reached down to the left wall where an electrical outlet lay near the floor, and switched on the nightlight which was already plugged in. The light was a sharp contrast to the pitch black scene that was present before, but the light was still very dim. His eyes immediately focused on the back wall, where the noise was coming from, before his feet walked over to the source.

"Ssssh sweetheart, yer alright girl, Daddy's got yer" He whispered over the bars of the crib, where a small little babe was crying, her eyes barely wet but wide with sadness. She calmed a little as soon as she heard the voice and immediately looked up with wide eyes before sticking out her bottom lip a little and reaching with her small arms towards the large figure above her.

"Heh, always ready for' a cuddle aint ya babygirl. Did'yer miss us?" He cooed, reaching down for the little girl that clearly wanted him, before placing her on his chest, legs dangling by his hip with her head instinctively resting on his large shoulders. Her cries had all but stopped now, reduced to shallow whimpers and sniffles as she lay cradled in her daddy's arms, safe and secure. He bounced around gently, rocking the babe smoothly as he tried to soothe her back to sleep.

Her cries started up again briefly, showing him that it wasn't what she wanted, taking him to change his original plan.

"Come here sweet girl, daddy's got yer. Now I know yer aint gonna like this, but I need to change ye" He sighed briefly, laying her down on the changing mat before adjusting the mobile that was hanging over her head so that she would be briefly distracted. He silently praised his wife for thinking of that little gem, before quickly unbuttoning his daughter's footsie pyjamas. He quickly changed her diaper, applying a thin layer of cream to an area he was sure looked a little red, before buttoning her back up and kissing her little feet as they still rested high in the air. Giggling again, she reached out for her daddy once more and quickly got her wish, though not before a gentle tickle to her belly. He scooped her up smoothly, resting her once more against his shoulders, before attempting to walk her back over to the crib. This earned another small cry from her, causing him to look at her with slight confusion on his face. Usually his baby girl went back to sleep quickly after having her diaper changed, in fact if she wasn't screaming on the changing table, she was usually asleep before they could button her back up.