Four

Something's quite different, Maine thinks as she tries to find a comfortable reading position while nestled in the hammock. It has been five days since she 'met' Richard but they haven't had the chance to see each other again. Maybe because she has slipped back to her old routine, ordering room service for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and then drowning in one of her books for the rest of the day. As for Richard, well, she doesn't really know.

Her eyes unknowingly drift toward his villa and she sees swift movement from the curtains, closing it so fast as if someone behind it was suddenly caught spying. Maine smiles to herself, fully realizing what the nagging thoughts were all about. She now recognizes what seems to be different. For the past five days, she has not seen a woman come out of his villa. Was he finally able to find a woman he wanted to sleep with for more than just one night?

Ano ba naman kasi ang pakialam ko, di ba? Gwapo naman talaga siya so it's but natural that women are drawn to him. Ttapos parang puputok ang biceps niya. Plus, those pectoral muscles look like they have a life of their own, ang sarap sigu-ah, stop, Nicomaine, she sighed while shaking her head. She should really go out and distract herself from Richard's hotness. Perhaps it's time for her to explore what Bali has to offer. She arrived two weeks ago to this day but all she has done so far was confine herself in her cozy little hammock which, by the way, she could have done in beautiful Palawan.

She stands up, gathers her things, and then goes inside her villa. Maine starts to meticulously put stuff inside her sling bag, things that she would need for the little adventure she have in mind: cellphone, wallet, keys, sunblock lotion, lip and cheek tint, water bottle, iPod shuffle, earphones, scarf, and a book. As soon as she was a hundred percent sure everything is in place, she locks the door from the inside and steps out.

The resort provides free bicycles for their guests, allowing them to roam around the island whenever they want to. For Maine, it is a vintage beauty-a Lekker Sportief women's bike painted in soft pastel blue. The first time she saw it, she fell in love almost instantly. She's glad she's taking it out today.

Maine mounts her bike and then pushes off lightly, allowing her to properly position her feet into the pedals. She learned how to ride a bike when she was already nine years old. A friend's cousin had taught her. Eight falls and numerous skin abrasions later, she was whizzing through their neighborhood, her laughter echoing. But the boy wasn't able to see the fruits of his labor anymore. By the time she finally succeeded, her friend told her he had moved out of the country.

She pushed the thoughts away as she started to pedal, slowly at first, until she found her momentum. She's about to pass by Richard's villa when she sees him jump out of his door, seemingly in a hurry. Then she realized, he is running toward her.

"Maine! Wait! Ay tangina, sandali naman kasi! Huy!"

She skids to a stop then looks at him questioningly.

"Saan ka pupunta?"

Maine raises her eyebrows, wondering why on earth would he want to know where she's going.

"Bakit?," she answers.

"I asked first, ano ba."

"Okay, sige. Naisip ko kasi, two weeks na ako nandito and my 30-day visa will soon end tapos I haven't explored Bali yet. So I'm doing that today."

"O, eh bakit ka naka-bike?"

"Wait, my turn. Bakit mo tinatanong kung saan ako pupunta? Hmm.. Wait, let me guess. Spy ka ng tatay ko? Orrr... pulis ka? Ay shet. Alam ko na. Pakialamero ka lang talaga. Yun."