The Library Incident

Logan. He and I have been friends ever since I could remember. I still remember the day we met in primary school. On the first day of school, I spilled apple juice all over my shirt. Let’s just say I wasn’t the most careful kid in the world. Well back to the fateful incident, I actually spilled all the juice from my bottle in front of the whole class just as I was about to get out of class for recess. Turns out I forgot to close the bottle cap properly before rushing to get out of class so when I tripped on my table on the way out, my bottle fell on me along with the juice in it.

The whole class erupted with laughter, but in the end there was only one who helped me out. Minutes later, when I was scrambling through a juice-filled shirt, there was this boy who offered a tissue to me. “You smell… Here’s a tissue by the way” he said. “Thanks,” I replied. It wasn’t really of much help but at least I had something to help dry me up a little. “I’m Logan.” he mentioned. “Well, hi there. I’m Liz.”

_______________________________________________________

Ever since that day, we were basically inseperable. If it weren’t for him, I would be the loner of the school. I wasn’t a very sociable person and always had difficulties when talking to new people. But that wasn’t a problem at all for Logan. He was always talking to the other people in class and was also absolutely loved by teachers for his good mannerism and moral. Yet, he always was there for me whenever I needed him by my side.

A few years later we stepped into High School. Let’s just say it was a totally different experience for both of us. Logan bloomed like a beautiful flower. He was blessed with extremely good looks and was definitely a social butterfly. He made many new friends there and just grew alongside the popular crowd. He had girls throwing themselves at him almost every single day and yet he never decided to get into a relationship or anything.

As for me, things weren’t all sunshine and rainbows at this side of the town. Since Logan got new friends, he rarely had any time to spend with me. It was truly devastating. And since I didn’t exactly change much in terms of my shyness, I was pretty much the only loner out there. You would think that there would be others out there but seriously there were none. Unlike Logan, I was stuck with being boring old Liz, which apparently did not appeal to anyone in the school. Everything was pretty simple and I kind of liked how things worked out. I was happy as long as my grades were good.

However, over the years, I was always curious as to why Logan didn’t exactly decide to get serious with a girl or anything. The girls that he was attracting were to say the most pretty and hot girls in the school. Most of them were those who would dress up with clothes that would show the most skin and were pretty revealing in terms of cleavage. But then there were also the normal ones who dressed decently and is absolutely nice to those around them unlike most of the popular girls. I guess he just wanted to hang out with the guys, disregarding the fact that almost all of his friends are already taken and spend most of their time together with their girlfriends. I wouldn’t even be surprised by the amount of times he’s seen them making out.  

It’s been a pretty long time since we actually talked. There are the occasional “Hello” ‘s when we pass by each other but usually nothing more than that. His friends would always find a way to get him away from me considering that I’m a freak to them. Though, something tells me, and I’m not exactly sure why, that Logan doesn’t think of me the same way his friends do. Yet, he always just ignores me most of the time so that he wouldn’t let his friends down.

 ___________________________________________________________

It’s a week before our finals, and since my mum usually picks me up late, I spend most of my time after school in the school library just reading up some stuff before I head out to wait for my mum. The library is usually pretty empty except for the occasional days when people would come into it to use the computer. But even those were rare as the internet connection isn’t as fast as they expect it to be.