Duchess Maybelle

"Your highness!"

I lifted the hem of my gown and genuflected, bowing my head in false reverence as Lily Hilt made her way through the crowd of loyal subjects at the pre-coronation party.

A lorry load of hot bile formed in my throat as I lifted my gaze to meet her departing form. She held her head high and squared her shoulders, taking practiced graceful steps. Her slender legs were fitted firmly within a six inch Roman Livel masterpiece, one fit only for a princess.

She landed on the floor lightly with each step, giving her movement the illusion of a well performed glide across the floor.

I hated her, and I had every reason to.

She could fool everyone in the kingdom, but not me. She was no royalty, she was nothing.

Cinderellas only existed in fantasies - whether she believed it or not. I was going to make sure that registered in her brain, sooner rather than later.

I heard the beating of the drum and turned away from Lily who had taken her seat at the podium. I should be the one taking my seat there, not her!

"The kingdom welcomes his royal highness and heir apparent to the throne of His Majesty, Crowned Prince, Landon." The royal announcer's voice rang through the hall.

Everyone rose to their feet and fell on their knees. Heads bowed and voices chorused in unison.

"Long live Prince Landon!"

He gave his charming smile and mesmerized us all with the glow of his grey eyes. With one hand lifted into the air, he signaled for us to rise.

I couldn't help the softening of my eyes as my lips parted into a smile. My heart skipped a beat or two just looking at him from where I was. He was tall and muscular, with breathtaking features.

A forest of sleek black hair covered his head and fell past his shoulders, highlighting his chiseled jaw. His nose was slim and pointed, perfectly placed between the twin grey goblets of passion that were his eyes.

Every bone in my body loved him. Every muscle attached to my bones ached at the thought of him. Every nerve ending in me yearned for his presence... yearned for his touch.

I deserved to be with him. Not Lily!

"Thank you all for coming out tonight. I am indeed thrilled to have you in my presence. There is enough to eat and drink, so please be merry. This party does not end until the break of dawn." He announced.

Butterflies fluttered joyously in my stomach as I listened to him speak. His voice was deep and precious, laced with authority and something else... Something dark, perhaps... Something I couldn't wait to explore.

I watched him walk towards Lily on the podium and give her shoulder a small squeeze. A bolt of anger shot through my body, exploding right in my brain.

Why did he touch her?

He should be touching me!!!

I immediately left the hall and made my way to the east wing. I knew he was bound to go there at some point during the night. That was where he signed the papers necessary for the processing of his coronation which was due in a month.

"Duchess." The guards greeted, as I made my way through the castle.

"Soon, it will be YOUR HIGHNESS or maybe even YOUR MAJESTY, bloody idiots!"

I smiled at them in false courtesy and continued my walk. I hated it every time someone reminded me of my title. My goal was to switch that title out. Queen sounded a lot like it.