Chapter 1: An Embarrassing First Meeting

The sun rose over the city of Las Vegas. But despite it being mid-December it was a little less than sixty degrees outside. The locals of the city were unaffected by the Nevada heat. The streets were alive with traffic, although slightly less chaotic during the day then it was during the night.

                The bright sunshine warmed the grass of the Kaplan College courtyard and made it an impossible temptation for the students. Students were scattered around the courtyard for their lunch or free periods, enjoying the cooler heat and the sunshine.

                Summer lay in her usual spot under the shade of a small tree, her bag tucked under her head as a makeshift pillow. Her long white blond hair lay sprawled out under her like a fan while she kicked off her sandals. She crossed her ankles and let the grass tickle her legs and arms. Her jean shorts and white tank top were splashed by patches of sunlight through the tree branches and bathed in shadows thanks to the protection of the leaves.

                She’d only been laying there for a few minutes when the sounds of shoes crunching grass approached her. She opened one of her eyes and stared up at the tall, lean-built young woman who stood over her scowling down at her in disappointment.

                “Hello Faye, it is good to see you, too.” Summer said, staring up at the clearly annoyed brunette. Faye’s green eyes blazed with a fire of annoyance that would make a normal person cringe.

                “Don’t you ‘Hello Faye,’ me, missy. Why the hell are you sitting here lounging in the grass when the news of three gorgeous new transfers has obviously reached your ears in the last hour or so?” Faye’s voice was soft, yet strongly filled with annoyance.

                “My apologies, was I supposed to stop everything I’m doing and randomly stalk them while waiting for a moment to introduce myself so that they can never speak to me again?” Summer replied sarcastically.

                Faye’s green eyes narrowed further as she glared down at her best friend.

                “No, I expected you to hunt me down so we could stalk them together.” Faye answered, her voice dripping just as much sarcasm as Summer’s.

                Summer laughed as Faye’s mouth crooked up into a slight grin. Leave it to her best friend to find a way to make a joke out of Summer’s sarcasm. Sitting up, Summer patted the ground next to her for Faye to sit, but Faye wore a short jean skirt and a gorgeous pair of boots that had obviously been bought at one of the shops along the Strip; she promptly refused to sit in the grass.

                “Come on, Summer! These guys are gorgeous from what I hear! We have to get a look!” Faye pleaded. Summer stared up at her for a few moments before giving a strong sigh of defeat.

                “Fine.” Faye jumped in excitement and quickly dragged Summer to her feet and threw her bag over her shoulder.

                “Come on! I here they’re in the front building near the office.” Summer trudged after Faye, who skipped merrily towards one of the school buildings, and silently thought of all the ways she could kill Faye’s peppy mood.

                She let her friend lead her into the main front building and through it towards the main office. As they walked, Faye rambled on about what the transfers would be like and whether or not she might try for one of them. Summer half-listened, knowing Faye would meet one of them and try her tricks, soon become bored of him, and move on to the next good looking guy that crossed her path. Summer let her own thoughts take her, thinking about which clubs they might hit up tonight or what restaurant sounded good to eat at.

                As they rounded a corner, Summer was so lost in thought that she didn’t realize that Faye came to abrupt halt. Summer was quickly dragged from her thoughts as she walked smack into someone.

                Stumbling back, she mumbled an apology and tried not to meet the person’s gaze.

                “Are you alright?” The strong melodic voice seemed to sound like a symphony to Summer’s ears. Despite her embarrassment, she slowly lifted her head to meet the gaze of storm-blue eyes. The man met he gaze full on, making her blush more as she realized she was staring. It was hard for her not to.

                Tall and well-muscled, the man appeared no older than twenty-one. His semi-long golden hair had been pulled back and tied up by a leather string. His face was chiseled and flawless, making him all the more handsome. His skin was slightly golden, as if he’d spent most of his time in the sun, and their almost seemed to be a glow coming off him.

                Shaking her head and stepping back a bit more, Summer had to fight down the urge to run in embarrassment.

                “I’m so sorry! When I get lost in thought I tend to lose sight of the rest of the world.” Summer explained quickly, biting her bottom lip nervously.

                “It’s understandable. As long as you’re alright, then there is no harm done.” The man replied, a slight smile crossing his lips.

                Summer felt her brain go completely blank at the sight of that smile and was left staring at him once again. But thankfully Faye stepped forward and looped her arm through one of Summer’s.

                “I’m sorry, she tends to run into things and people when I don’t keep a tight grip on her. She’ll be fine, thank you for asking though.” Faye said, pulling Summer close to her. Summer could feel the heat in her cheeks redden more as she stood there like a lost puppy.

                “It’s alright. It was a pleasure running into you ladies, but I’m afraid I must find my brother now.” The man nodded his head, before stepping around them and disappearing around the corner.

                It was silent between the two girls for several minutes before Faye finally said, “Oh my god! That was one of them! That was one of the transfers, it had to be!”

                Faye released Summer’s arm and moved to face her. Summer was still staring at where he’d been standing her face bright red.

                “Hello! Earth to Summer! Come back home please!” Faye waved a hand in front of Summer’s eyes immediately snapping the girl from her frozen state.

                “Oh please tell me that didn’t happen and that it was all a dream that I’m about to wake up from?” Summer groaned in embarrassment.

                “Nope ‘fraid that just happened.” Summer groaned again and leaned against the wall.

                “They weren’t even here a day and already I managed to embarrass myself.” Summer complained.

                “It’s who you are love, that’s why you keep me around. Although he seemed completely okay with it from the way he was looking at you.” Faye teased poking her elbow into Summer’s side gently.

                Summer groaned once again and buried her face in her hands. Just great, she’d just literally bumped into the most gorgeous guy in the world and now Faye was making fun of her. Yep this day wasn’t going to end well for her.