Chapter 24

--Ariel's POV--

It has been one week since Jake attacked me... And throughout this week, I haven't been going to school. I can't concentrate anymore... Louis' mom has been coming over instead of him ever since we had our little fight.

I've been trying to hold myself together every time she comes over, but I'm sure she notices that something is really off. I haven't been myself... I can't even turn on the television or radio anymore... I've lost all hope and happiness in my life. Jake took everything from me - my life, my personality, my will to even live and put up with this shit.

My mom's trip got extended, so I'll be home alone for a few more days... Great. I don't know what I'm going to say to her when she comes back... Should I tell her? Telling her would mean losing Louis and his family forever... I can't let that happen. I have to tell someone eventually, though.

While sitting up straight in my bed, I bring my legs closer to my body and wrap my arms around them, rolling up into a ball, and I start crying - crying because of all the shit that has happened in my last year of high school. None of this should have happened.

I jumped a little when I heard "Express" by Christina Aguilera play from my cellphone, telling me Elyse is calling. I hesitate before grabbing my phone from my night table, and I answer.

"Hey."

"Ariel!!! Where have you been, babe? Aubrey and I have been worried sick about you! Why haven't you been in school?!" Elyse keeps bombarding me with questions.

"I'm not feeling well," I tell her, plainly.

"Are you ok?" I could hear the worry behind Elyse's question.

"No," I admit.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Elyse asks.

"No."

"Oh ok... Well um, that's fine..." I could tell she was hurt by my answer; I tell her everything.

"Not now," I add.

"That's fine, Ariel. If you don't want to talk about it, you don't have to," she says. "I just miss you, babe."

"I miss you too, Elyse. I really do," I feel like crying.

"I know something that might make you feel better!" Elyse says enthusiastically.

"What could that possibly be?" I say flatly.

"There's a party tonight at Robert Dover's house! He told me to invite you since he hasn't seen you in school. What do you think?" She says.

Should I go? Just to take my mind off of everything, maybe? No, I can't. This has disaster written all over it.

"Ariel?" Elyse says when I don't say anything.

"It's tonight?"

"Yes, tonight!" She practically screeches in my ear.

"Fine, I'll go, but I'm not drinking, ok? I really don't feel well," I give in.

"Oh my gosh, Ariel! Yes! Thank you for coming with me! When do you want me to pick you up?!" She says, excitedly.

"Um, what time do you think would be best?"

"In thirty minutes?" She suggests.

"That's fine," I agreed. "Can't wait to see you!" I'm actually happy I'm seeing her; hearing her voice again has made me feel a bit better about everything that has happened, although my happiness hasn't been fully restored.

"I can't wait to see you too, Ari! Aubrey is coming with us, too! We missed you so much! I'll talk to you soon, babe!" Elyse concludes our conversation and hangs up.