Chapter 3

The UHI crew come from all walks of life. We like different stuff, feel differently on a variety of topics, and generally have our own ways of doing things. Over the last few months though, we have all developed one thing in common: we all love Danny. When you travel for work, you're never really away from work. Danny's rambunctiousness and enthusiasm offer everyone a much-needed mental break. I can't count the number of times I've been stressing over paperwork in the office, and suddenly in comes Danny with a toy spaceship or something wanting me to play with him. And I'm not the only one. Everyone takes a turn entertaining Danny as he bounds around the ship. I even caught Ashton throwing a ball around in the corridor with him one time.

The bottom line is that we all love the kid like he was our own. Since everyone has realized I've managed to keep him from seeing Mike's dead body on the shuttle, they've worked in perfect unison to keep him ignorant. While the rest of the shuttle passengers are huddled together to be examined by the medical officer, another officer looks at me and Danny separately on the other side of the ship. The medic shines a light into my eyes. His gloved hand holds my chin still while the light dances between my pupils. Once I check out, he clears me to take Danny away.

It's pouring rain, but it's hot rain. In fact, the only words I can think of to describe this planet now that I'm on the surface are hot, wet, and sticky. A lot of things I see remind me of Earth. There are churning gray clouds high overhead. The trees, though much larger than most trees on Earth, are roughly the same shape and sport their foliage in the same way. The colors are off though. The trunks are more gray than brown. The air smells like fresh soil, and each inhale informs me more about why this planet is so important to UHI. This soil is nutrient-rich, meaning this planet is full of resources for us to take advantage of.

Of course, my feet aren't really on the planet's surface. Danny and I are standing on solid metal. The surface is sleek and smooth, and the raindrops pounding upon it make a deafening roar. This is all very familiar. UHI uses these Halo Outposts all the time. They're oval-shaped, eight hundred feet long from end to end, and five hundred feet wide. Small buildings create an inner ring while the fortifications line the parameter just a few yards away from the platform. The landing pad sits in the dead center. The whole thing gets shipped to the planet in pieces and they assemble it in about a week. Once finished, it's just large enough for about two hundred or so people to work and live together without feeling too cramped and strong enough to keep anything unwelcomed out.

Keeping hold of Danny's hand, I make a mad dash towards the southern half of the inner ring. This is where the apartments are set up for everyone. I know from my briefing materials which one Maggie and I are sharing. The systems in the room should already be linked to the holodeck computer. Sure enough, once the device in my pocket is within range of the door, I hear the locking mechanism disengage.

With the bolt unlatched, it's easy to push the door open and race into the room with Danny in tow. The tiny apartment is dark save for the grayish light coming in from the window. There's a small living room with a couch and two chairs lining the walls. A kitchenette covers the corner to my left. There are two doors on the right wall, one going to the bathroom and the other to the bedroom. The whole thing is designed to be as comfortable as possible while using minimal space. Everything is also either attached to the walls or the floor, making the whole room a single piece that can be easily transported from planet to planet.

"Command... lights on," I say between gasps.

The living area lights up. A large screen built into the wall next to the bedroom door comes to life, displaying the spinning UHI logo. I shut the door behind us, drowning out the sounds of pouring rain. The air isn't thick and hot in here, and it's causing my wet clothes to make me cold. I know Danny's got to be feeling the same way. The bad thing is there aren't any clothes in here for a young boy.