Luke

"And I would hide. Ya know? I'd wait. Just to see how long...how long it'd take for them to notice I was gone."
"I call bluff" Luke thought.
"There is no doubt that this is fake. Every group session she dramatically changes her story. It's just not fair for those who actually tell their stories. And we have to listen to this crap?"
Mr. Jenkins proceeded to the next person, calling out their name from the clip board he had. Each name was ordered by the time they were enrolled in the therapy classes. Luke's name rolled off Mr. Jenkins tongue and not a second was spared.
"Um. No thanks. Pass." Luke said in a raspy voice.
"Luke. If you're not here for help, what are you here for?" Mr. Jenkins said lowering his glasses.
"It wasn't my decision." Luke looked away.
"Then who's was it?" Jenkins asked in curiosity.
"Your mother?" He proceeded.
Luke's eyes shot up at the thirty year old, almost piercing his skin.
"Don't talk about my mom."Luke said through gritted teeth.
"Then why don't you show us a bit of participation?" Jenkins said.
Luke sighed and rubbed the back of his neck.
"My mom passed away when I was sixteen, how did she die? My dad stabbed her to death"
"I was sent to  live with my grandma who lived here. After she saw me break down, she worried that I'd get worse or something. So that's why she sent me here." Luke lowered his head
Mr. Jenkins sighed in frustration.
"Thank you for your participation, Luke. I'll look forward to speaking with you later. For now this session is over. We'll continue in an hour."
Everybody fled the class to leave the depressing aura. Being new to the place, Luke had no idea where to go. He followed the crowed out into the court yard where there were  white marble tables and bright green lawns. The court yard was enveloped with trees. Tons and tons of trees. The sky was gray, covered in layers of clouds and the humidity was terrible.
"Why is the stereotype for England, cold? It's hot and sticky out here."
Luke wondered around the lawns passing by different bushes and small ponds when he noticed a girl that wasn't sitting where everyone else was. She happened to be reading. She had blond hair, bright enough to illuminate the sky. He walked towards her, curious, he spoke,
"Hi. I'm Luke." He said.
Still not able to see her face, he spoke to the top of her head.
"So I've heard" The girl said.
"You can call me R. I suppose you're new?" She looked up and stuck out her hand.
"Oh Jeeze. It's this fake." Luke thought
Luke reached for her hand and shook it like a civilized person who-doesn't-want-to-make-her-cry would do.
"Yeah I'm new." Luke stated.
There was a long pause until Luke spoke.
"I call bluff." He said.
She chuckled.
"Anyone would..." Having said this she got up and headed for the doorway.
"Thanks for ruining my break, you arse." She waved while stepping inside.
~R~
R walked through the halls in search of her brother. Having seen his face during the group session she knew she was in trouble. She walked up to the receptionists desk and asked
"Have you seen brother? Is he waiting for me?"
"He is in his office?" The receptionist replied.
"Great thanks." R opened the door to his office and to her surprise the new kid was there too.
"Oh great you again?" She spoke
Mr. Jenkins shot an annoyed look in her direction.
"I've just heard that you met our newbie. I'd like for you to look after him since he's adjusting to our schedule now" Jenkins said.
"What?? Why do I have to take care of him? Look at him he's a big boy! He can take care of himself!" R exclaimed
"Actually she's right. I'll be fine on my own." Luke spoke up.
Mr. Jenkins stared angrily at R for a moment.
"Fine fine! I'll take care of the poor pisser! Come on you!"
R grabbed Luke's arm and pulled him out of the office, out into the corridor, and out of the building.
"Where are we going!?"
She smirked
"To explore!"

~Luke~

They ran through the streets of England, zig zagging through crowds of town folk and neighbors. Finally after running into some alleys and turning some rights and lefts, they stopped at an ice cream shop.

Luke, out of breath, "We ran all they way here just for an ice cream???"

"Aah. Ice cream and contemplation!" she waved her pointer finger in the air.

The smell of sweet dairy filled Luke's nostrils as he began to crave the ice cream.

"Uh, yea. I'll take two chocolate ice cream lollies." She handed the money to the clerk and picked up the lollies.

They walked out and sat in a near by picnic table. Both of them staring off into the distance of the live neighborhood. Both silent and thinking, while enjoying the little bit of childhood they had left.

"So who are you?" R asked.

"Uhm.. Luke??" He shrugged.

"No. Like. WHO are you. Why are you here. Whats your purpose. What makes you special??"

Luke hesitated "I don't know..."

R looked down in disappointment and sighed, "Yea neither do I"

And in that moment Luke knew just how hollow and lost they both were.