Silhouette

Ryan's POV:

I sighed to myself, closed the newspaper and placed it down on the table in front of me. I put my face in my hands and began to cry. It wasn't the first time this is happened either. It's been going on for weeks now. Disappearances. Some people I have no idea who they are and some people I know so well. I looked back at the newspaper lying in front of me. On the front cover was a girl. Beautiful with long brown hair and big green eyes. Her name was Shannon and she was my girlfriend. One of my tears fell onto the paper leaving a small wet patch on the photo of Shannon. I missed her so much. Every Friday someone disappeared. And this time it was her turn. There was nothing anyone could do apart from just look at the newspaper every Friday to see if their love ones had gone.

I heard my mum coming down the stairs. So I quickly folded the newspaper and tucked it into my pocket. I didn't want anyone's sympathy. I looked up to see my mum walk into the kitchen. The way she looked at me proved that she had found out about Shannon. I looked towards the floor and pretended to tie my shoe laces. She sat down in the seat opposite me. For a while there was silence but then I couldn't take it anymore. I stood up and walked out the door, ignoring my name being called continuously. All I cared about right now was getting out of the house. Away from the memories.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I sat down in a bench in a park. I was surrounded by trees and I was grateful for the pleasant silence which surrounded me. I don't know how long I sat there, but it must have been a while as when I finally opened my eyes and looked up at the sky, it was starting to get dark.

I reluctantly got up off the bench and headed home through the trees. It was only then I stopped when I heard whispering voices coming from behind a tree a few metres away from me. I slowly and carefully made my way towards where the voice coming from. I saw the silhouettes of three men. As soon as I was within hearing range I stopped and began to listen.

"Have you got her?" I heard a voice say sharply. "Yes I tied her up in a house in the south of London. Here's the address" I heard a crumpling of paper. "Thanks George but now you are no more use to us." A gun shot rang out and I was so shocked that I stepped backwards and trod on a twig. It made a crackling sound. I stood still unable to move. "Did you hear that?" I heard a voice say. "Lets check it out."I just ran as fast as I could back to my house and did not stop until the front door was safely closed behind me.