chapter 1

I don't own glee unfortunately

Rachel Barbra Berry was going to be a star. That was never clearer than when she hung up the phone with the casting director of the off-Broadway revival of Yentl. It was her first starring role ever and at the incredibly young age of 16 it was even more of an accomplishment. She had worked her whole life for this, missing out on many of the things that normal girls got to do. Instead of a regular high school she was homeschooled by her fathers. Instead of going out shopping or to the movies she would go on audition after audition or rehearse tirelessly for even the smallest roles or take acting lessons, voice lessons or any lessons she needed to turn herself into the star she was meant to be. That kind of dedication came with a price. She didn't have many friends, not only because she was busy, but because her years of dedication had made her all but insufferable to be around for most people. It wasn't that she was a bad person, far from it, but she was an intense girl and a bit full of herself to boot, it made it difficult for people to take the effort to get to know her. But her loneliness would all be worth it in the end when she became the biggest star on Broadway.

"Oh my god honey we are so proud of you," Rachel's father Hiram said, hugging her tight.

"You've worked so hard for this, you deserved it baby girl," Her other father Leroy said, joining in the group hug.

"This is fantastic. My first starring role and it's one that Barbra originated... in the movie anyway," she said excitedly. "I'm going to go to my room and start memorizing my lines right away," she said.

"Honey you've had that play memorized since you were six," Leroy said.

"And rehearsals don't even start for another two months," Hiram added.

"That doesn't give me much time," she said hugging her fathers one last time before bouncing toward her room.

Why is it people who want the truth never believe it when they hear it?

"Why is it... Arghh!" Rachel said collapsing backwards onto her bed. "This is hopeless, Barbra would be so ashamed."

"What are you talking about? That was perfect," Leroy said.

"It's not just about getting the lines down daddy, I have to become this character. People need to believe that I'm both Yentl and Anshel and all I'm getting across is girly girl with a stupid girly voice."

"Oh honey, I thought you sounded very mannish," Hiram said.

"You're just saying that to make me feel better," she groaned.

"Rachel, there is a reason you were picked over 200 other girls," Leroy said.

"I know, because of my superior acting abilities, but it's going to take more than that to really wow the audience."

"We're starting to worry about you baby girl," Leroy said. "You've been doing nothing but practicing all weekend long. We didn't even go out to celebrate."

"Yeah, at least let us take you out to that noodle house you like," Hiram said.

"Yuet Li?" she said, her eyes wide with excitement.

"Yeah, and maybe you can invite one of your friends from the Theatre School?" Leroy suggested.

"That's okay, it's Sunday, they're probably busy, besides it's such short notice," she said. "I'll make sure to tell them all about it tomorrow." She got up from her bed and pranced toward the door.

"I think the problem is that I'm not putting myself in Yentl's shoes," Rachel said before taking a bite of her bok choy. "I mean, what do I know about passing as a boy? Even my dental floss is pink."

"Rachel, you're obsessing," Leroy said.

"I'm not obsessing, I'm just saying, trying to understand this character has really made me see why so many actors go method. How can I truly play a character if I don't know what it's like to be that character."

"What are you saying, you want to pretend to be a boy until rehearsals start?" Hiram said.

Suddenly a light went on in Rachel's head. She couldn't believe she hadn't thought about it until then. "Well, why not?"

"Look what you started," Leroy said to his life-partner.

"I'm serious dads, why don't I?"

"Because you're a 16 year old girl not Daniel Day-Lewis" Leroy said.

"Well, why couldn't I be Daniel Day Lewis, because I'm a girl?" Rachel said, crossing her arms.

"See, you already sound like Yentl," Hiram said.

"Yes, so there's no need to chop off your hair and start hanging out with boys all day," Leroy said.

"Well, I don't have to cut my hair, I mean they make all sorts of great wigs nowadays, and Sandy from the theatre school can show me how to do my makeup..."

"Oh my god she's really serious," Leroy said.

"I am serious daddy," Rachel said.

"Honey, if you think it will help to dress up like a boy when you take your piano lessons then I say go for it," Hiram said.

"No, you don't get it, I need to do something big, I need to go undercover where nobody knows me. If I can trick them into thinking I'm a boy then I know I'll be able to nail this role."

"How big?" Leroy said carefully.

She smiled as the wheels continued to turn in her head. "Two words daddy, McKinley Prep."

Will Rachel's dads go along with her crazy plan? Keep reading to find out.