London

• Dedicated to me

I sat by the window, staring out looking at the city’s lights. They reflected off of the window, colours, reds and oranges with the headlights of cars driving by, and the rain danced leaving trails behind. I traced a few with my fingertips, as I rested my head against the window, turning up my headphones. It was a long journey, and I was nervous. I was moving to London by myself, where I knew absolutely nobody. But this was the beginning of my dream. I had always wanted to move to the city, I never really knew why, but the concept was always extremely enchanting to me. I had been saving up for years, planning on going and moving. I searched for months for a job, to be called back and hired a month ago, and now it was time for me to move there. Luckily I found a flat in a decent area for a reasonable price. Today was the day that flat was officially going to be my home. I pulled my sleeves up over my hands, trying to get them warm, turning up my ipod staring at the streets.

I met with the landlord and he gave me my key and told me everything we already went over on the phone. I was excited that he seemed nice enough. Hopefully I wouldn’t have any problems with him or anything. My flat already had my boxes inside, a few pieces of furniture, a coffee maker, and potential.

The city kept me up at night. I layed in bed staring at my window. My room was empty, just a few boxes here and there that I had yet to unpack. A lot was different from where I lived before. The streets were rustling and I could hear the cars on the street drive by. My old home everything was silent at night. But I guess people are right when they say that the city never sleeps. I heard footsteps from the flat above me. I guess they couldn’t sleep either. I wondered how long it would take me to get used to the noise. I checked my phone. Two in the morning. I groaned and put it back by my side. Of course the night before my first day at work I wouldn’t be able to sleep. It might have been my nerves. A new city, a new job. I was nervous for my job, which is normal I suppose, everyone is when they start a new job. I put my headphones on and played some calming music and soon after I fell asleep.

My phone buzzed and beeped, six am was already here. I grumbled, and shuffled out of the bed sticking my feet in some slippers and headed towards the kitchen. I turned on my coffee maker and walked towards my window staring out at the busy city below. Everything was strange and different, it was somewhat lonely but it was exciting. I was doing what I dreamed of doing, living in the city that I had always admired. I poured myself a cup of coffee and sat by the window looking out. It was the beginning of my new life.

I headed towards the bathroom, staring at myself in the mirror. My hair was unruly and the only possible way to tame it would be by taking a shower, which I needed to do anyways. After an hour and a half of preparing and doing my hair, I was ready to go off to work. I walked down the stairs out of my flat, a few of my neighbours seemed to head out to work as well.

Work was not much was different than I expected. A lot of it was laying down rules and what they were going to expect from me, and walking through me different guidelines on how to do things. Everyone seemed really friendly and helped me out. I sat at lunch with four other ladies who worked with me. “So you’re new here hmm?” They asked me several questions on where I was from and if I enjoyed London so far. They seemed nice enough. That was good, at least work wasn’t going to be too bad I mean I was already making friends it seemed.

When I got home I slipped into some leggings and an oversized jumper. I placed my headphones over my head, and turned up the volume. I began to dance. Swaying to the music and closing my eyes. Everything around me was a mystery, everything was almost as a dream. I was happy. I was living. Finally. My mind was wandering. I just danced to the music, twirling on my toes, dancing like I wouldn’t in public. Not that I was bad or anything, I just didn’t think I was confident enough to dance in public, even if I really wanted to. I heard a knock on the door.