Prologue

“Once long ago, there lived a warrior, revered, respected and rejoiced by all. His skills and talents wondered even the noblest of the divinities. His chiseled features wooed even the most rarest of women, except for a mysterious maiden who seemed to be immune to his charm. Out of all these possible lovers, his actions and deeds revolved  around this one stubborn maiden. Days turned into nights and months into years, but the warrior could not woo the maiden. Finally, he decided to approach her when she was at her happiest: sword play.

    This mysterious vixen was probably the most confusing of them all. Instead of fulfilling the duties of a young doe, she fought like a ram. Her precision knew no bounds, her ability legendary, she was the only one who could be a worthy adversary to the young warrior. So he challenged her to a duel.

     They fought from dawn until the scorching sun's shimmer dwindled at sunset. They were at an unending stalemate, until the maiden took the wrong step and trip, but before she could fall the warrior dropped his sword and catched her. The bewildered maiden had closed her eyes, preparing for the deadly bow of his sword, but instead she felt the warmth of his embrace. She opened her eyes and gazed into his smoldering eyes as he did hers. They fell in love.

     A decade had flown by since their first encounter, the maiden and warrior had married and had a little girl. She was already seven years old and progressing into a fearsome fighter. She made her parents proud and they loved her more than anything else. She was to be their greatest creation. However, not all approved of this family.

    Valkyries, Odin's most trusted fighters, all women who enjoyed a gory battle. They were unpleased that one of their own had fallen for a disgusting mortal. Yes, the reason why the maiden was so talented with a sword is because she is one of the Valkyries. They could not stand this disgusting union any longer, they decided to start a war in order for the warrior to be called into battle. Once in their domain, the Valkyries will be able to dispose of him and, but they would need a distraction, they called for Loki, king of fools."

“Uncle Koli, why are you telling me this story again?”

“So we don't forget.”

"We?"

"Yes Rose."

"Where did you come up with this story?"

"Let us just say that I can relate to it."