Four

Four

It’s been two months since Malorie and I stumbled into Sea Cliff territory, all dirty and battered.

Bennett kept his word and brought us to the pack house, letting the doctor patch us up and everything. After that, he took us to our temporary room where a queen bed sat. It was the best they could do for us, and I gladly took it.

Every night for a month straight Malorie crawled into my arms and fell asleep. I couldn’t sleep though. My mind numbly went through everything that happened with us. When I did fall asleep though, it was a flash back of that day. Starting with Leila and me at the pond, all the way to leaving the pack house with Mal in my arms.

I would wake up startled, and fall asleep again to experience it once more. It was my own personal hell.

A couple weeks after staying here, the Alpha finally came back, and without seeing us, accepted us into the pack.

I immediately started a job at the Beach Front Dance Studio, and soon after rented Mal and me a tiny two bedroom house.

When the Alpha accepted us, he also gave me access to my bank accounts, since I couldn’t use them before he came back.

I didn’t want to spend all of it, so that was why I bought the small house.

Malorie was more than excited when she moved into her room. It was small, but it fit her bed and dresser, so it worked.

The house needed some repairing, sure. But after some elbow grease and nails, it’ll be up to par.

All our furniture came from thrift shops and Goodwill, so it was mismatched. But somehow, it made the house cozier then a ten thousand dollar living room set.

“Cece?” I heard Mal say, and she bounced into the kitchen where I was making her breakfast.

“Yeah?”

“Look at my picture!”

Malorie slapped a sheet of paper down on the counter, and I picked it up.

I gasped, and looked at Malorie, “what is this?”

“It’s Mommy and Daddy!”

There were three people, including Malorie. One was obviously Carl, with his blonde hair and blue eyes. The other… didn’t look like Katie.

Katie had short blonde hair with brown eyes. The girl in the picture… she had red hair and green eyes.

I kneeled down to Malorie’s level, and pointed to the girl.

“Mommy doesn’t look like that.”

Malorie nodded, “yes she does, see!” Malorie tugged on my hair, “your hair is red, and your eyes are green.”

My breath caught in my throat, and tears entered my eyes.

She’s forgetting.

“Remy, she doesn’t remember anything. She thinks I’m her real mother, and that her Dad is coming back. What am I supposed to do?”

I took Malorie to school quickly after she showed me the picture, and immediately went to work, where I dragged Remy, my new boss and friend into her office.

It probably wasn’t a good image to see one of your workers blubbering and sobbing about, but this was big.

Remy rubbed my back soothingly, “it’s her way of dealing with everything. It’s a good thing.”

“No its not,” I cry, “she thinks I’m her mom. Her mom’s dead!”

“It’s okay Cecilia, it’s her way of coping, and you need to help her. Act like her mother, but tell her about her real one Katie, but don’t say she’s her mother.”

The idea calmed me down, and I wiped my tears away.

“Sorry, it’s just hard. She’s been through so much, and her saying I’m her real Mom makes me feel like I’m pushing her real blood away.”

Remy leaned back in her roll-chair, and crossed her arms. “You’re not. You’re the only thing tying her to her parents, and she needs that. She needs you.”

“Okay,” I sigh, “thanks Remy. For letting me blubber all over your shirt.”

Remy waves it off, “no biggie, anytime you need to vent I’m here. Except for eleven to nine, those are my sleep hours that cannot be corrupted.”

I laughed, “I’ll hold you to that.”

“Damn right you will.”