Chapter Three

Dylan POV

Lee and I walk along the river slowly, her staying admirably silent, though I can tell she's bursting with questions. Barely two minutes pass before she blurts, "Well?"

I smirk inwardly. Apparently she didn't inherit the patience I have from Dad. I keep my smirk inside, knowing that it wouldn't help our newly bloomed relationship if I let her see it. I let out a little chuckle at the look of annoyance when I don't say anything. That look turns pleased as I open my mouth to speak.

"Once, long ago, the five species were one."

"Wait, five? You said vampires and werewolves and Fae..... that's three." Lee interrupts.

I nod. "I'm getting to that part. The five species were Vampires, Werewolves, Fae, Demons, Angels, and Rogues. Well, not really one species, but they lived in the same towns, and marriage and children between races were perfectly common."

"So what you're saying is that we don't get along anymore?" Lee asks curiously.

"Well, it was around the medieval times that the peace ended. A group of radical thinkers, always ignored, finally found a way to make their voice heard. They had always believed we were mightier than the humans, meant to rule the world. And then they put their long thought out plot into action. Simultaneous assassination attempts were made on the werewolf king, vampire queen, Fae queen, angel king, and the demon ruler. All failed but the one on the Fae queen."

"What happened?" Lee interrupts. I shoot her a glare, but she looks too intrigued by the story to care, so I continue.

"As I was saying, the species were thrown into chaos, expertly pitted against one another by carefully planted subtle clues by the Rogues. Each species proclaimed its innocence, but no one believed anyone. That city was destroyed in the resulting war. That's why when we think of medieval times we think of wizards and fairies and witches, sorcerers and sorceresses and dragons. The battlefield infiltrated the human world, and they were desperate to make sense of it all with their puny minds. After a while, the Rogues were discovered. We have no records of the first ones. The rulers worked together and used their powers. Combined, the results were catastrophic. They first took minor action, banishing the Rogue leaders. Then, with their combined power, they destroyed their names. They former masterminds behind the greatest assassination plot could no longer refer to themselves or anyone else. They couldn't say 'I want you to do this' or 'I want world domination.' They went mad. Furious at the loss of their rulers, the rest of the Rogues went into hiding, vanishing for years. When they reemerged, the rest of the magical world was shocked. They had grown even darker, and they had.... changed. They had different powers, auras. That was when they were first classified as a new species. Now, when someone joins them, they are given a cup with a bit of blood from each of the species in the Rogues, usually of the most ruthless and bloodthirsty ones. After a night of agony, the Bitten one is changed like the other Rogues. It was the first World War when all hell broke loose. They attacked us, and though we were shocked, we still had enough power to defeat them. They retaliated with the second World War, years later. We won that one too. It wasn't until the Vietnam War that the rogues split the species in half. Vampire and Fae on one side, Werewolves and Angels on another. The Demons joined with the rogues and helped attack the now vulnerable species. Thats why there aren't many angels left. The Demons took care of most of them. The Fae leader was taken down again leading to the splitting of the Fae group into the Seelie and Unseelie. Eventually, the species united and took down the rogues again but for the Fae, those wounds were too deep to heal. They remained split into the courts. They didn't fight but they didn't necessarily get along either."

"So, what does that mean about me? Am I.... what was it, Seelie or Unseelie?" Lee asks curiously. This time I can forgive the interruption.

"Well, Ann was an Undecided. She liked to help out others like the Seelie, but she didn't want to stay hidden from humans, but she also didn't want to cause trouble with humans like the Unseelie." I explain.