Prolouge

Leona Cline stepped onto the bus and scanned her card

Leona Cline stepped onto the bus and scanned her card. She turned towards the driver, gave a slight bow, and began to climb the stairs to the second level. Several people were in the seats towards the front so she found a seat in the back and sat. Fixing her scarf to cover the bottom half of her face Leona looked out the window.

As the bus made its way down the city of London Leona took in everything around her. A smile flickered across her mouth from behind the scarf. The sun was setting which gave the city some sort of glow. Everything around her shone golden and the metal buildings reflected the gorgeous colours of the sky.

Leona turned away from the window for a second to dig through her satchel until she found her earbuds and phone. She put in the earbuds and opened her phone to the music app. Scrolling through her songs she clicked on "Youth" by Daughter (Song up top) and as the song started she turned back to the window.

She was on her way to the Mews to meet her father who was part of the royal cavalry. His steed, Daniel, was her absolute favourite thing in the world. He was a gorgeous bay with a shining coat. Since her father was part of the cavalry she was allowed to visit Daniel whenever. "136 to Mews. Bus stopping" The announcement cued Leona's alight from the bus.

Leona made her way down the stairs and gave a nod to the bus driver before stepping off. She made a beeline for the entrance and waved slightly at one of the wardens who let her pass. Leona quickly walked toward the stables and once she reached Daniel's stall, immediately entered.

"Well hey there Danny boy." Leona cooed as the beautiful stallion turned his head from his straw and nickered at her. She approached him calmly, lifted her hand and let it meet his muzzle. She did this every day, or as much as possible. Her father would laugh and say that it seemed like she had a closer bond with Daniel than he, Daniel's own rider, did.

As she stroked the stallion's neck and gave him a hug her scarf fell a bit. Just enough to show her mouth and it was turned up in a big smile. Leona hated her smile. Despised it in fact. She hated it so much that she hardly ever smiled. She hid it with a scarf every day, of every month, of every year. The only living thing she smiled for was indeed Daniel. She loved that stallion, she had such a strong bond with him that nothing would sever it. He was an older horse and she would hate to see him go. Her heart would shatter.

Leona heard footsteps approaching and so she quickly fixed her scarf. Her father attacked her in a hug and she jumped. "Hi Dad." She spun around and gave a short bow,"Or should I say, Sir Cline of the Royal Cavalry, First under the Queen?" Her father chuckled and bowed back,"No. Please. Just call me..." He paused for effect,"Dad!" His hands flew out into jazz hands. Leona giggled softly,"Alright, Dad. Shall we go home?" Her father put out a hand which she took after she gave Daniel a peck on the muzzle. "Bye bye Danny boy." She said as she put the rope across the stall and gave a small wave. Daniel nickered back and bowed his head.

***°°°°°***

Her father pulled into the driveway of the Cline household and shut off the engine to the car. Leona exited the car and ran up to the doorway. After throwing her satchel onto the bench in the boot room she trotted into the living area and flopped down onto the couch. He father came in a minute later and picked up the mail that was on the floor near the slot. Leona could hear his bored tone as he sifted through the post. "Bank, Bank, Cavalry, Bank, Ba- What's this?" She could hear his footsteps pause and everything got so quiet she swore she could hear the London traffic miles away in the city. "Leona. I need you to contact your mother. Get her over here now."

Leona sprung from the couch and was about to ask why, but when she looked at her father she could tell that it was urgent. She made her way over to the phone and dialed her mum's number. After a few tries she heard the click of her mother picking up. "Honey you know I'm busy at work. I can't talk." "Mum!" Leona said,"Dad found something in the post and he seemed concerned, he told me to call you. You need to come home now." Her mother gasped,"Uh. Tell him I'll be right there!" The phone clicked and a buzz told Leona that her mother had hung up.

She put the phone back on the hook and went to her father who was sitting at the dining room table hunched over what looked to be a very old letter. She sat next to him but he hid the letter. She sighed, fixed her scarf and told him what her mum had said. He just nodded and so Leona took that as her time to get up and leave the house all together. "I'm taking a walk! Bye!" She stepped outside and walked down the street on the footpath.

A few minutes down she saw a cab driving down the street, she waved at her mother who motioned for her to keep walking. "I need to speak to your father alone! Stay outside." She shouted at Leona. Leona nodded and shrugged her scarf up.

***°°°°°***

She began making her way back home. It was dark out and she had been sitting on the swings at the development's playground. As she neared the house she could hear yelling. "HOW COME I DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT ANY OF THIS!? YOU TOLD ME NOTHING!" Her father yelled in an enraged tone. Her mum snapped back,"I WASN'T SURE IF SHE WOULD COME OUT AS ONE! IF I HAD KNOWN I WOULD'VE TOLD YOU" Her mother's voice cracked and she could hear her mother sobbing. She could see the silhouettes in the window through the curtains. Her mum was crunched over and her father was standing over her whispering soft words. Leona was heartbroken. She'd never seen this happen. Her family was so close. What secret had been kept from her father? Or even Leona herself?

She opened the door and quietly walked into the room where her parents were. Her mother immediately stood straight up. Her father spun around and smiled innocently. "I'm so confused. Mum. What happened?" Leona asked. Her mother wiped tears from her eyes and plastered on a smile,"Sit down." Leona sat. Her father pulled out the letter she had seen earlier. Her mother took it and gave it to Leona. She took it and looked at the front.

To Miss L. Cline

Second Floor Bedroom

7 Oak Drive

London

England

Leona looked up at her mother and raised a brow. 'Open it' her mother gestured. So Leona did.

HOGWARTS SCHOOL of WITCHCRAFT and WIZARDRY

Headmaster: Albus Dumbledore

(Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Sorc., Chf. Warlock, Supreme Mugwump, International Confed. of Wizards)

Dear Miss Cline,

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment.

Term begins on Spetember 1. We await your owl no later than July 31.

Yours sincerely,

Minerva McGonagall

Deputy Headmistress

Leona looked back up at her parents, her father blank faced, her mother smiling softly.

Her mother walked up to her and crouched down to be eye to eye with her. "Dear. You are a witch. You've made it into the best magical school ever." Leona looked to her father who put his fingers to his temples as if he had a headache and shook his head.

Leona stood up and looked her mother in the eyes,"I need to sleep on this. Goodnight." She watched as her mother face grew cloudy as she nodded and gave her a hug. Leona took the letter upstairs and walked into her room. She pulled her desk chair up to the window and sat. Looking out the window she placed the letter on the sill and thought.

She thought until she finally fell asleep.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey there. Nice to see you've read this. Thank you so much! I really love it!