one

Dim
adjective

(of a light, color, or illuminated object) not shining brightly or clearly.
"her face was softened by the dim light"
synonyms: faint, weak, feeble, soft, pale, dull, subdued, muted
"the dim light"

I looked down at the writing on my arm. Dim is the word to describe me. My pale skin, my pale blue hair, my fake smile, my fake laughs, everything about me is dim. Everything is dim.

The only thing that isn't dim is her.

I sighed and looked behind me, to see her running behind me on the field.

"Hey Katelyn!" Aphmau called out, running to catch up with me, her short legs only taking her so far, so I have to go back and stand next to her. I'm sneaking out to the field for lunch, I have no idea why she's here. But nonetheless, I'm glad to see her.

"What's up, Aph?" I responded, her amber eyes glistening, like two stars.

"I was just looking for you, but that's beyond the point. Your senior prom is tomorrow.. Right? So I was thinking, since you don't have a date, I can go with you! Aaron's not gonna be able to go with me tomorrow, so we'll be together!" She exclaimed, a wide grin on her face.

"That would be great Aphmau!" I pulled her in for a hug. Prom with her is bright.

"I don't know what I'll wear though..." She said.

"You'll look stunning in anything Aphmau!"

"Katelyn.. Stop lying, I'm not pretty! I'm a potato!" Aphmau laughed.

"You're perfect in every way Aphmau!" I exclaimed. She thinks I'm joking, well.. I'm not. She is. Everything about her is. She is bright.

"Pfft!" She giggled even more, leaning her head on my school uniform. I put my arm around her shoulders, pulling her closer, as the hill stretched out below us. Sneaking out of lunch was worth it.. It's worth it to be with her.

My world is dim without her.

She's my star.

---

"Aphmau!" I called out. There she is... On the steps of the auditorium. She's in a purple dress obviously, her hair tied back and curled, with mascara. She looks so perfect.

"Katelyn!" She replied, running over to me. She pulled me in for a hug, and I obliged. I wrapped my arms around her, though she quickly pulled away.

We both headed over for punch, and chatted with friends, until the lights went dim and slow music started. I smiled at Aphmau, but she was distracted. I looked across the auditorium, to see Aaron with a bouquet of purple roses. And Aphmau was running into his arms. Of course this would happen. The one night I get Aphmau to myself... He comes back.

I sighed and headed towards the exit, slamming the doors to the gym behind me. I can hear Aphmau yelling in the distance for me to come back, but it doesn't matter.

Everything is dim without her.