Chapter 13

My wig is itching.
Don't itch it.
I bite my lip trying to focus. My name is Danille Clark and I'm a social worker. That is an important job. Yes, I know. Too many cracks in the time span, orphans.
I look at Leon. His name is Xander Clark and he is a electrician. Also an important job. Yes, I know that, too.
I stare at the fence before us, at least eighteen feet tall.
It's to keep the animals out, they say.
I think it's to keep the animals in.
We approach the gate and my palms are sweating.
Act natural, Mira. Don't be suspicious.
Leon flashes me a reassuring smile. I smile back.
We pull up and a security officer steps up to the window.
"May I see your papers?"
Leon hands them over.
They're counterfeit, albeit beautifully. It will take some serious scrutiny from a trained eye to tell the difference.
Leon isn't stupid, no one will be able to tell the difference.
The guard takes the papers, looking over them, he steps away from the car and into his little shack. I try to breathe evenly. Soon, he returns.
"Sir, I'm gonna need you to step out of the car."
It felt like a lifetime later when he came back, smiling. I let out a sigh of relief. He slid into the car and looked at me as if to say, we're okay, we got through. I put my head back on the seat and breathe a sigh of relief. He grabs my hand, giving me comfort, and I stare out the window watching the city leave our view. This is the first time I've ever left. And I will never go back. Our trunk holds clothing and food, and our tank holds enough gas to get us 3,000 miles away from here and we plan on using it.