Chapter 10

Beep, beep, beep....
It's so frickin loud.
Beep, beep, beep...
What is making that God awful sound?
Beep, beep, beep...
I try to open my eyes. Ow!!!!!
It burns. It's so bright! Where am I????
Beep, beep, beep...
Why is it speeding up?!??
"Doctor!!! Doctor, she's waking up!!"
Everything hurts. Why is there a man screaming?
"Help her! She's going to be in pain."
My stomach hurts. It hurts so bad. My head hurts, it's pounding. I can't open my eyes. It burns too bright. Suddenly, I know where I am. I remember what I've done.
Beep, beep, beep...
That sound means I'm alive.
"It's gonna be okay, darlin."
A woman's voice. Damn it. Why didn't I die????
"Please open your eyes."
A man. I recognize the voice. Who is it??
"I'll never hurt you again. Damn it!!! Just please don't die."
Leon!! This recognition makes me open my eyes. It burns. A lot. He smiles when I open my eyes, kind of a sad smile. He touches the side of my face gently.
"Why?"
One word. This word hurts the most of all the words he could have said. Why. Like I will be able to give him a reason to make it all better. All I an manage is a sad smile back to him and a shake of my head. I try to lift my hand to touch the side of his face, to reassure him. I can't. My hand is cuffed to the bed. I look at them, confused. Then, I try to call for the Doctor to take them off, I'm no danger to myself or anyone else. Leon looks at me sadly, his mother next to him like she's in a trance.
"You tried to die. Mira, you tried to take yourself to the next land before your time."
My eyes widen when I take in what he's said. The cuffs aren't for my protection. I'm in so much trouble. My hand tingles as he slides down thing on my finger. I look down.
"I'll protect you if it's the last thing I do."
I shake my head, try to tell him no. It's dangerous. It is.
"It's the only way. I can't lose you."
My eyes fill with tears as I stare down at the ring he's put on my finger. I'm his now, he's mine. They'll see this marriage through, make sure I am truly with him, so they know I won't hurt myself. The moment he tells them we are engaged everything changes, he's stuck with me.
"Don't worry."
I look up when a man in a white lab coat comes in. This one is not a doctor, then I look back down to the ring. Once this was a symbol of love. Now, it's the reason women live longer than men, to reproduce. Time will be taken from him and given to me because of this ring. Tears fill my eyes. I've already almost lost him and it's just beginning. I look up at Mrs. Smith. I'll be the reason she loses him.