Chapter Three

I spent a few extra moments in my room, grappling with my emotions. I had always loved Rowan, but my feelings for him were no longer platonic. For a few fleeting seconds I let myself wonder if Rowan could ever feel the same for me. The reality of our situation weighed on me as I realized that my hoping was pointless. 

In a few hours I would be handed the name of the man I was expected to marry. Not only that, but Guardians were strictly prohibited from being romantic with the girls that they protected. That of course didn't mean that it never happened, but the relationships were always short lived and usually ended badly.

Recently, the Sector News had done a special program about a young girl and her Guardian. They fell in love and bravely approached the government in an effort to change the legal status of their relationship. The Guardian was sent to the Department immediately, where he was retired and sent to Sector X. 

The young girl, who was just beginning her first year of The University, killed herself out of desperation. I stood from my bed, my feet clad in my white sneakers, and tucked my hair behind my ears, as the reality of my situation surrounded me.

"Let's go!" Rowan called out from the living room. I shook my head in an effort to reset my train of thought, and walked quickly from my room. Rowan was waiting patiently by the front door. His face lit up the moment I came into view. I smiled and felt my heart skip a beat. The sadness of what we would never be faded as he held his arm out for me. I wrapped my arm around his elbow, and let him guide me through the door.

 As we exited my apartment, Rowan released my arm to lock the door. I felt an immediate void at the loss of contact. Once we were in the hallway of the building, he turned his fun, happy self off and again became my serious and distant Guardian. He ushered me down the hall to the nearest elevator. Once inside, he visibly relaxed but still did not speak or make eye contact with me.

We rode all the way down from the twelfth floor to the main lobby in silence, as we normally did, but that ride felt very different. I watched Rowan as the slow methodic elevator music surrounded us. His jaw muscles were clenched, and his eyes stared straight ahead. Something about his posture spoke volumes to me. His shoulders looked strained, as if he was struggling to keep them from slouching. His hands were tucked into his pants pockets, but I could tell that his fists were clenched.

"Are you ok?" I asked quietly. Rowan looked at me quickly, as if he had forgotten I was with him. He flashed me a toothy grin before answering.

"Never better," he answered. The elevator stopped and the familiar ping sounded to alert us that the doors were about to open, Rowan leaned over and planted a chaste kiss on my cheek.

"You really do look lovely today," he whispered against my cheek. I closed my eyes and inhaled deeply as the doors slid open. Rowan stepped out of the elevator before me, as if he had not just stopped my heart from beating. I could remember a time when his sweet and subtle gestures didn't affect me in that way, but those days were long gone. 

He turned around when I didn't follow and raised a quizzical eyebrow. I realized that I was staring back at him with a dazed expression and quickly hurried out after him as the elevator doors began closing. He resumed walking once I caught up with him.

As we passed through the lobby, other students bustled around with books or backpacks, but very few Guardians accompanied them. Most Guardians weren't as attentive as Rowan. Once we were at The University, and our parents weren't watching to be sure that they were doing their jobs, most of the Guardians took the opportunity to slack off a bit. 

They were still present, and almost all of them shared living spaces with the young girls they had been assigned to, but they didn't survey their every move the way Rowan did with me.