Ikalawang Kabanata

FRIEDRICH

I told my mom about our wedding. She's my only connection to my family. Siya lang kasi 'tong sinubukang intindihin ako at tanggapin ako sa pagiging ako. Noon pa man, hindi naman masyadong naging debotong Katoliko si Mama. Ang tatay ko lang talaga ang nagimpluwensya sa kaniya at sa aming mga anak niya upang sumamba sa kaniyang Diyos.

I wouldn't forget that day when we had a conversation in a coffee shop one Wednesday afternoon.

I kept rubbing my sweaty hands on my pants while waiting for my mom. It's been six years since the last time we saw each other.

I was awed and I cried for a day or so when she messaged me in Facebook last Sunday. Maybe it was my brother who taught her how to use the app and helped her maneuver in it. I guess my brothers are still staying with my parents, just like how they wanted. That's the reason why I bought a big house because our extended family would live there. It pains me a bit to see them happy together, but I'm still happy that they're together. All of them.

"Rick?" a woman's voice said behind my back. I know that voice. It was so familiar a shiver ran down my spine, making the hair behind my neck stand. She's the only one who calls me by that name. It's good hear that again. It's been years since someone called me by that name. My co-workers call me 'Fried' or by my full name kapag 'di sila tinatamad.

I stood up. "Ma," I said with a faint smile.

She hugged me. I hugged her back tightly. She's wearing glasses now and her face is already covered with wrinkles. It's been six years but... she seems older now. I guess a lot of things have changed after we parted ways.

"Kamusta ka na?" she asked once we already settled down. "Ang tagal na rin nating hindi nagkita, 'nak."

I looked down and huffed a smile. Tears are already forming in the side of my eyes. I swallowed to stop them from falling.

I looked back to her. "I'm fine, Ma," I said softly, almost like a whisper. I think she saw that I'm on the verge of losing myself so she reached for my hand resting on the table and squeezed it. But it didn't help, actually. It made me feel the pain even more – how much I miss her, how much I miss home.

"Ano pa?" She smiled that sweet smile of hers, the one that she uses when she's trying to cheer us up (plus a chocolate bar when we were still little).

"I... My job is stable. I-I was promoted to Senior Manager in the plant a couple of years ago."

"That's great," she said, her voice almost broken. "Si Vonn?"

"He's doing great, too. He's been to a lot of projects lately in the same construction company."

She nodded and squeezed my hand again. If she keeps on doing that, I might really loose it here. But I think she keeps on squeezing my hand because she's trying to stop herself from crying, too.

"H-How's Papa?"

"Your Papa..." She heaved a sigh. "Retired na siya. Umaasa na lang kami sa pension niya at sa kinikita sa binebenta naming bonsai plants – alam mo naman kung gaano kagusto 'yon ng Papa mo, 'di ba? Nakapagpundar na rin kami ng tindahan dahil sa kinikita namin at padala ng mga kapatid mo."

My brows creased. "H-Hindi sila tumitira sa bahay?"

She shook her head no. Napabuntong-hininga na lang ako. "Ayaw kasi ng pamilya ni Tyronne na tumira sa bahay kasi gusto nilang mapag-isa. Masyado yata silang nakukulitan sa amin ng Papa mo at nabibigatan kasi pareho na kaming babagal-bagal na kumilos." She sniffed. I squeezed her hand.