Entry 015

P H A S E S

Ever since I turned 13, I've been going through phases - music wise - and it's been quite the experience.

The first phase, at 13, was the Eminem phase. A friend of mine introduced me to a friend of hers who was so obsessed with Eminem, I'm convinced that sometimes he even thought he was Marshall Mathers - so naturally, at 13 you fall into peer pressure and in no time I could literally rap 78% of all his songs (I just made that statistic up, but ya feel?) - even now, I still can tbh. I watched YouTube lyric videos because they were in their peak at that time, I googled his life story, I cried to some of his songs - I was Eminem trash.

At 14, I was pretty much still into him but then I had my first major, high school crush... And he was into rock and metal (fml)... So I got into that... I kind of eased into it, at first listening to Rise Against, a bit of Evanescence, Within Temptation and Linkin Park and then going onto Bullet For My Valentine, Breaking Benjamin and Avenged Sevenfold. I never went deeper than that though. I could literally not stand stuff like Lamb of God and Disturbed and Demon Hunter (I liked one song!) it was just so loud and ugh! (that branding tho). (I also discovered Ed Sheeran lol, that dichotomy)

(The fact that I just used the word 'dichotomy' in a rant book, smh, but I couldn't think of a better word ugh!)

There are definitely some songs that I would drop everything to head bang to, like:

• Collapsing - Demon Hunter
• Crawl - Breaking Benjamin
• All These Things I Hate (Revolve Around Me) - Bullet For My Valentine
• Little Piece of Heaven - Avenged Sevenfold
• Teenagers - My Chemical Romance (not metal, but it falls into this phase)
• Anything by Within Temptation, pre-Hydra, I never listened to that album

Disclaimer: DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME.

At 15, I was in between genres, I was obsessed with Ellie Goulding's album, Bright Lights, as well as Civil Twilight and He is We and Adele (I can sing any song on 21) and Paramore. That year BFMV's album Temper Temper came out and I was just not feeling it. Luckily 2013 was the end of that era - phew! I also liked The Script. They're alright, I mean they're not GREAT? My friend introduced me to The Neighbourhood and I was young and stupid. Now I want to make babies with all their songs :) or to all their songs, I mean I'll take what I can get lol

December of that year, I fell in love with Daughter and I am still very much in love with them. The lead's voice makes me feel things I cannot even word :|

Being 16 is such a blur, but it was definitely one of the greatest years of my life. I achieved so many things that I'm proud of and my taste in music started evolving into what it is now. James Vincent McMorrow, Ben Howard, a little bit of AWOLNATION, Owl City, more Paramore, more Daughter, Iron and Wine (listen to him!!); I tried Mumford and Sons and I just don't feel them, hey? They're just not my cuppa but my irls are OBSESSED. I eventually discovered Troye Sivan and YouTube (again, not just the Janoskians). BLESS!!

Being 17 includes: Troye Sivan, Halsey, Melanie Martinez, BROODS, Alessia Cara, Oh Wonder, BØRNS, One Direction - imagine! - LANY, James Bay (bae), Arctic Monkeys (they, unfortunately, did not stick).

I'm 18 now. We're going strong.

Conclúsiōn: I've got an insanely susceptible and fickle personality. According to Astrology, I could easily be influenced to join a cult so yay to being a pisces *woot woot*