1

I exit the elevator, my black pumps clicking on the marble floor as I head towards the door, the doorman opening it.

"Good night, Ms. Kelley."

I nod to him with a smile and enter the hustle and bustle of all the people getting out of work, careful not to get trampled.

Sighing, I join the current of the suits-and-ties and walk down Michigan Avenue, admiring the sites. I might have lived here for the past five years, but the city never ceases to amaze me.

Pausing for a moment, I retrieve my phone from my purse to check the time, making sure that I still am in good shape to get home and change before going out with Cassandra and Lily. 5:25. I meet them at Grant Park by Buckingham Fountain at 7, which is near my condo. I have a little over an hour and a half, plenty of time for dinner and a different outfit.

Picking up my pace nonetheless, I slip my phone back into my purse and zip it closed, swinging the bag in front of me to protect from pick pockets.

Finally reaching it, I smile at the doorman who opens the door with a nod and walk across the exquisite lobby of the E Monroe Street building. Pushing the button on the elevator, I wait, tapping my foot impatiently.

The doors finally opening, I step in and press my number.

Leaning back in the elevator, alone, I smile at my reflection in one of the mirrors, relief flooding through my eyes. Friday, the workday is over and I only have to come in for a few hours on Saturday.

It was a long week, lots of meetings and my CFO says I might have to layoff a few people if we don't give Lannin Education a pretty good punch in the gut to get them out of the spotlight. Running an education company is hard, especially when your main competition has been at it for ten years longer. I might be bias, but Acetex is much better than L.E., we actually make good tests and learning tools because we don't freaking own the market. We actually try. Honestly, as a kid I used L.E. and it was awful, something ALWAYS went wrong.

I remember when I was in eighth grade, my online test went missing. How do you lose an ONLINE test? It was awful having to retake it. Stupid L.E.

With a ding, the elevator doors open to reveal a corridor with a door at the end that leads to my 1,500 sq. ft. condo. I know that doesn't sound like much, but it is in Chicago! I should know, cost me over a million dollars. Well, that's not much compared to the price of the top of the Ritz Carlton, but I never wanted a huge place to say, "Look, I'm wealthy! Be jealous." Plus, what does one do with all that space? Smaller places are so much easier to keep clutter free, anyway.

Stepping inside the hallway, I pull my keys out of my purse and open the plain grey door, once again marveling at the floor to ceiling view of the sparkling city.

Sighing contentedly, I set my purse on the counter and walk into the bedroom, immediately kicking off my painful shoes and rubbing my feet.

"Mommy's sorry." I whisper to them as I rub the red, tender skin.

Taking my blazer off and hanging it up, I quickly pick out a cute red dress that is just above the knee with a halter neckline and a pair of leather boots. Not the cutest outfit, especially since I'd probably need the height heels would add, I'm only five-five, and both my friend are at least 3 inches taller, but my feet can't take it anymore and I need the warmth.

Heading into the large bathroom, I throw my hair into a messy fishtail braid and fix my makeup before slipping on my clothes and walking back to the kitchen.

"Dinner, dinner dinner dinner..." I mutter to myself as I stare into the fridge, planning a meal in my head.

"Hmm...Italien? No, don't want garlic breath. Chinese? I'd probably ruin it." I think out loud, a lot. I seriously talk too much to myself, people probably think I'm crazy. "Aha, good old American!" I laugh as I pull out some hamburger meat, onions, lettuce, tomatoes, mustard and ketchup and Worcestershire Sauce, so much for not having bad breath, now I'll smell like onions!

Grinning at my own idiocy, I grab my phone and turn some music on, letting the sound fill the otherwise empty condo, and making the space not seem quite so lonely as I dance around the kitchen, preparing my meal.