4

Hi all,

Sorry I haven't edited yet, so feel free to point out any mistakes in the comments! Thanks and have a great night.

--authorsskate

---

Nathaniel Greene, my brother, is engaged, well that's just glorious! I think to myself sarcastically.

"Honey, you still there?" My mom asks, concerned.

"Yeah," I say, clearing my throat, "So he finally proposed to Marianne? What has it been, six years?" I laugh into the phone. Wow, my brother is getting married to a girl he's been dating for six years and I have only ever had two relationships since high school. And one doesn't even count because he never showed up!

"I know, it's really amazing, basically high school sweethearts." I can almost hear my mom smiling through the phone so I smile too.

"It really is," I sigh into the phone. Don't get me wrong, I'm really happy for Nate, and I think it's great, but I'm just disappointed in myself.

"But wait, didn't they not start dating until college? They just knew each other in high school." I ask, confused. That's what Nate told me anyway.

Nate is a two years older than me at 25 and he and Marianne have been together for what seems like forever. They are so adorable and perfect together, it was only a matter of time. I'm actually surprised it took him this long to pop the question. Nate works as a software designer in California so I don't see him much anymore, though we used to be really close. He went to MIT for college and I went to Northwestern and then University of Chicago during the summer for internships so I saw him a bit more but Massachusetts still is by no means close.

"Yes, that's right," My mom says matter of factly, "So Nate was wondering when you have time to come down here for a little celebration. They haven't set the date yet, but we are having a small engagement party for them."

"I can arrange whatever time as long as you give me about two weeks notice."

"Sounds great honey!" My mom laughs into the phone and I smile, my mom and I are still really close. She lives in the suburbs so I see here every Sunday when I drive out or when she drives in. We are practically best friends, and I know that's weird at 23 when she's 62, but we've always been that way.

"Okay, I love you mom."

Cassandra glances up from her deep thoughts and mouths, "Is that your mom?" I nod to her.

"Hi Ms. Greene!" Cassandra shouts into the phone.

"Was that Cassandra, Kelley?" My mom asks into the phone excitedly. My friends are pretty close with my mom too. It's kinda strange, I know.

"Yes, it is." I say slightly resignedly, laughing to myself.

"Can you put her on? Oh and I love you too, sweetie."

"Thanks Mom, and sure," I say, handing the phone off to Cassandra who takes it giddily as I roll my eyes at her.

"Hi Lucy!" She says as I sit back on the bench, watching her talk animatedly with my mom about who knows what. Probably my brother's engagement, but also likely a ton of random stuff.

Sitting there and watching them, I think about what I would have done if I had lost her. My mom has a lot of autoimmune issues, namely Lupus and a few years ago it got really bad. Now, the doctors say that if she keeps taking care of herself like she has been, she should live into her old age, but they also said that to her when I was twelve, and it's already had a few flairs since then. If it happens again though, I have a feeling it might be her last, and I can't lose my mom.