Explanation

Beep. Beep. Beep. The periodic sounds of the monitor kept Grillby awake all night as he sat by the skeleton's side, one hand holding Sans', the other holding a bottle of ketchup. He had brought it with to surprise his friend when he awoke. If he did.

The monster was lying still on an observation table, the shiny metal capturing a blurry reflection of Sans' jacket, unzipped and splayed open at his sides. His tshirt that accompanied his outfit was folded upwards to grant sight of his soul.

Grillby's heavily ringed eyes were captivated by it for a moment, paralyzed by fear and guilt as he watched its color fade, shivering weakly as Sans lay there unconscious.

He had done the best he could to prevent the cold from creeping across the skeleton's body, using his fire to warm him in a wild attempt to save his life. It had worked, but just enough to grant Sans a couple more days to live. After that.. There was no telling what the future held.

A soft knock on the door tore Grillby's gaze from the terrifying sight to Alphys, the royal scientist who had helped Grillby to affix Sans to the machines. Her eyes were down cast as she looked at the bartender, her own turmoil nothing compared to what he was going through. She smiled reassuringly, though she didn't have much hope to offer.

"Grillby, d-do you mind if we could t-talk for a second?" She asked wearily, her voice quiet as if she was not trying to disturb the monster'a slumber. Grillby looked back to his friend with a pitiful glance, before turning back and nodding.

He slipped his hand from Sans' and stood slowly, stretching out his back before approaching the scientist, who moved to allow him through. He was steeping through the door when he took one last glance towards the table, flinching at how bad he looked.

When he could not look any longer he allowed Alphys to close the door, following her down the hall into the actual lab, nodding gratefully when she offered him a chair beside a table. Taking a seat herself, she nervously folder her hands in her lap, averting her eyes from the fire monster as she collected herself.

"I-I need you to tell my all you know, Grillby. Any information you have c-could prove useful at this time." She said, lookin over her glasses at him, were he was sitting stiffly acrossed the table. He had payed his chair in and was staring at his reflection on the polished white surface, upset about how disbelief he looked. He nodded and closed his eyes, replaying the events.

"Well, I had no idea what was going on until we were.. Ya know.." He looked at Alphys bashfully, and she smiled crookedly, a bit embarrased.

"I-I think I u-understand, just keep going.. A-after that." Her cheeks were a timid red, and usually Grillby would have chuckled at her awkwardness, was it not for their dire circumstances.

"Okay. I-I was lifting ups his shirt when I saw.. That. I didnt have any idea what had happened, and couldn't find the right words to ask. He was upset and seemed to break down, losing himself. Eventually, I could hold back and tried to comfort him the best I could, falling asleep holding him. That's when I felt it. That chill. It rose off of him in waves, and I used my fire to block it, to keep him warm all night."

Drops of crystal ran down his cheeks and the scientist watched helplessly as the man in front of her cried, staying silent as to not instigate him. She was listening intently, her own eyes heavy with sorrow for the two monsters.

"That's when I ha this weird dream.. I was in my bar with Sans, and we were alone. I felt some kin of sadness deep within me, but had pushed it off as I turned to Sans smiling, offering a hand to him to help him up. That's when he passed out. I knelt back down close to him, trying to pick him up but collapsed with exauhstion next to him. I had not energy, no hope. I caved in and did the only thing I could, held his body close to me and waited for him to awake. Then I woke up."

Grillby opened his eyes and shook his head, his flames burning low and dull around him. He sighed, lifting himself and looking to Alphys.

"The next morning I found him downstairs, as happy as ever, till I mentioned my dream. That's when he told me it wasn't just that, but it was a memory. A different timeline."

Grillby stopped to look away again, wiping his face slowly and straightening. Alphys was staring at him intently, lost in thought when a loud clattering down the hall scared them both. Grillby was up in an instant and racing towards the room Sans was in, his eyes wide with terror as they studied the sight before him.

Sans had sat up abruptly, tearing himself from the machines, doubled over in obvious pain, his Gaster Blasters watching him wearily. They readied a blast as Grillby entered, but slowly backed down as Grillby held up a fiery hand, glowing bright with panic.

"Sans! What's wrong?!" He was across the room in no time at all and was leaning over the skeleton, trying to catch his eye. The bartender placed a weary hand on the monster's back and was shocked to feel an icy chill beneath it. The short skeleton looked up weakly to the bartender, his arms shifting to reveal a sight that etched its memory into Grillby's mind forever.

CLIFF HANGER BITCHES