Chapter Twelve

()-()-()

A searing pain in Mulan's lower region makes her stumble a bit as she lands on the hard ground, but she ignores it and sprints along the top of the guard wall to get behind a wide post. The baby mews from beneath the basket cover.

"Shh," she whispers, slipping a finger beneath the lid for her to grasp. The baby hiccups and stops whimpering.

"Alright, so what's the plan?" Mushu asks. "I mean, other than climbin' out a window and droppin' y'self on this wall to see what's going on. 'Cause that wasn't a very good plan."

"I don't know," Mulan says, "I'm sort of making it up-"

"As you go along, I get it," he cuts off, crossing his arms. "Girl, that ain't the first time I've heard that one. Would it kill ya to ever have a plan?"

"It worked last time!" she protests. Mulan peers out from the post and surveys the court. Bodies dressed in Mongolian uniforms litter the plaza and people are cheering and singing. She spots a handful of men in Chinese armor, thanks to Chien-Po's massive stature.

"Mushu, I don't see Shang with the group," Mulan says fretfully. Mushu looks unfazed.

"Yeah," he returns, "he probably went inside to look for your baby-birthin' butt."

"You're right," she realizes. "But we don't have time to find him, we have to warn the others!"

"Mulan, I don't think the others'll be able to face all them Mongols," Mushu predicts. "What we need is another avalanche!"

Mulan looks out into the distance at the shadows on the mountain. No, another avalanche wouldn't do any good. Then her eyes fall onto something else. The dam.

"I have an idea," she announces.

They turn the corner on the wall and Mulan leans over the rail, now facing the plaza head-on.

"Hey! Up here!" she shouts. "Citizens! Look here! Hey!"

People gradually notice her and start to point, getting the attention of others. Somebody yells, 'It's Li Mulan!', resulting in a thunderous cheer. She motions her arms for them to quiet down, irritated a little because of their lack of time. The noise diminishes.

"Be prepared to fight! More Mongols are coming! They're on the mountain, I see them!" she hollers, pointing to the hills behind the Imperial City.

Mulan doesn't remain on the wall long enough to see how they react. She unties her sash and slides down a red post, landing on the ground outside of the gates. Tied to a corral a few yards away, is her childhood friend she thought she'd never see again.

"Kahn!" she exclaims. Mulan wraps her arms around the horse's neck with a wide grin.

"Don't worry," Mushu jeers, "we've been keepin' your cow warm for ya."

She mounts and places the basket carefully in the saddlebag. "Aiya!" she jolts the horse forward.

A rickety horse ride is definitely not something a brand new baby could be used to, especially one that's spent the majority of her life inside of a dark container. She starts to wail from inside the saddlebag.

"Mushu, can you get in the basket and try to calm her down?" Mulan suggests. Then she hears a loud sniffle.

"Are you crying?" she asks.

Mushu sniffles again. "Naw, I just got some dust in my- YES I'm crying, girl whatchu think? My li'l baby's all grown up and- and has a baby! And I ain't thought about it like that 'till now what with all the drama!"