The Forgotten World - Part 5

In the forest north of Yayman the trio continued to walk in complete silence. From the direction they were heading, Alex reckoned they were making their way to Shelton’s cottage.

Shelton wasn’t born in Yayman and had always lived outside the village. For the past few years he and Charaline had spent their social life in Yayman and would retire to their lake side cottage when the days came to a close.

Alex remembered when Charaline had argued with Shelton about moving into the village.  Shelton however had been stubborn in his decline. Shelton found sentimental value in his cottage where he was raised and had always thought it would be a great place to raise their children when the day arrived.

But that’s enough with the past. Now is the present and Alex like felt the walk was getting drawn out with Shelton’s dead pace. The smell drifting from him wouldn’t let Alex concentrate on anything but death. It was a constant reminder that something bad had happened.

Something. Alex thought over what that word meant. Shelton was the only one who might know what happened and he hadn’t said a word about it still. The wait was too much and Alex wanted answers.

“Wait a little longer.”

Alex looked up. Who said that?

“Alex, he's hurt. And really badly too”. Michelle was talking under her voice. “Let’s wait a little longer. I know you want answers. I need them too. But he’s hurt and we really need to let him return to us first before we can get anywhere”

Alex glanced at Shelton. Michelle was right. Shelton walked like he was a body with no soul; a soul that had been left behind in Yayman.

He would wait a little longer.

Just then, they were welcomed with sunlight as they walked into the clearing of Shelton’s home.

"You’re Alive!"

Alex and Michelle stopped walking and looked ahead, past Shelton. Standing there with the biggest grin was Mathew Krom. His clothes were ripped and his right arm in a sling, but no mistaking it he was happy to see them. Alex noticed this was the first time he’d seen Mr Krom with a sword.

"It's so great to see you well" he exclaimed. He hurried up to the two teenagers and gave them a hug each. His sling made it all a bit awkward but that didn’t dull his mood. Mr Krom was just glad to safe them.

Alex saw this as his chance to ask questions. Michelle beat him to it.

"What happened?"

There was a bang as a door slammed shut. Shelton evidently hadn’t stopped walking when Mr Krom came skipping over to greet them.

Michelle returned her attention to Mr Krom, who had his head turned in the direction of Shelton’s cottage. Mr Krom sighed.

"Is it that bad?"

Mr Krom didn’t respond.

“Sir?”

Mr Krom slowly returned his attention back to Michelle. He took a deep breath and thought of what to say. The seconds Mr Krom took to form his words felt like an eternity.

"It was a massacre," He started. "Everyone fought bravely but..."

He placed a hand on Michelle’s shoulder and looked at the two solemnly.

"...lives were lost today. Your parents didn't make it."

Michelle’s legs gave way and Alex was quick to catch her. Taking her in his arms, he pulled her close as she cried into his chest. It was the one news Michelle had feared the most. Now it was reality.

Alex exchanged looks with Mr Krom. Mr Krom closed his eyes and shook his head. Alex felt like the world had collapsed in on him but he stood firm.

Michelle needed him now more than ever before and he couldn’t let her down. He held back his tears; he could cry later. Right then, for Michelle’s sake, he needed to stay strong.