Chapter 2

3 weeks later...
I stare at my phone. My thumb hovers above the ball button. It's been three weeks since that night and we haven't talked, but now... We need to. Astrid stares at me, wide-eyed. She's more terrified than I am.
"Do it."
Her voice is raspy, she's been crying. I chew on my lip and press the call button before I can change my mind.
"Hello?"
He answers on the third ring, his voice is heavy from sleep.
"Ian?"
He can hear it in my voice, I know it.
"Maya? What's wrong?"
He sounds more awake now.
"I need to see you."
He sighs.
"I'll be right over, text me the address."
Astrid stares at me like I've grown a second head.
"You're sure?"
I run my hand through my hair and sigh.
"No, Astrid! I'm not sure, I'm not sure of anything right now! Are you sure of anything?"
She grows silent. I know I sounded harsh, but I'm frustrated and she's not helping.
Soon, he arrives. As soon as Astrid opens the door and I see his face, so concerned, I start crying. He rushed over, throwing his arms around me.
"It's okay, Maya, it's gonna be okay."
I look up at him.
"You know?"
"I knew it was a possibility and when you called... Yeah, I knew."
I start crying harder.
"What do I do? My parents are going to kill me."
He smiles at me softly.
"You don't have to do anything alone."
I bite my lip.
"You still barely know me, how are you so sure you want to stick by me?"
He smiles.
"I was sure the moment I saw you that I wanted to stick by you."
••••••••••••••
My parents are just as mad as I thought they would be. Only Matty smiles.
"A baby?"
I smile at him.
"Yes, Matty."
He bounds out of the room, smiling, excited. I wish I could be more like that. My mother doesn't smile. She scowls.
"Your problem, you take care of it."
She stalks out. Only my father remains. He looks... Sad, instead of angry.
"Maya.. There's something you should know."
I wait for the speech about how much responsibility a child is and how I'm throwing my life away, it doesn't come. Instead he sighs.
"The world is changing, Maya. You and Ian. You need to stay together-"
"I know that."
Ian nods his agreement.
"That's not what I mean, Maya, that's important too, I just... There's a new sickness. I'm not suppose to tell anyone yet, but the Doctors can't figure out what it is or what causes it. It acts more like a parasite. It's only going to get worse from here and when it does... We need to get out of the city. I think Ian should stay here, move in."