Chapter One

The sound of my alarm ringing woke me up from my revolting nightmare. The same one everytime. A nightmare can be forgotten, but a memory stays with you forever. I hit the alarm to prevent anymore ringing that could be the cause of two crotchety girls from sleep disturbance. I get up and make my way around the pile of clothes thrown recklessly by Natalia because her insufferable boss was lacking coffee in her system and made sure to send my fraternal twin to a coffee shop at 10 pm which made her come home even later then necessary, so she was merely awake when she tossed all her clothes in the middle of the room and got in her pj's. I opened the door slowly but that didn't stop it from creaking and making the youngest of us, Thalia, stir a little.
I made my way to the bathroom that six of us had to share and got done with great haste, leaving just enough hot water for everyone else. My daily attire consisted of yoga pants, an oversized hoodie to wear over my tank top and ballerina shoes.
I walked into the the kitchen where Alexis sat eating cereal.
"Good Morning" I greeted, grabbing the last granola bar.
"Elena, you're going to be late if you don't leave now." Was her first words to me as I took a bite of my breakfast. I shrugged
"I'll be on time, Lex." I said to my oldest sister that's more of a mother to all of us even though the age difference between the two of us is only two years.Jessica, the second oldest entered the kitchen and I took that as my queue to leave. I grabbed my keys and opened the door of our tiny apartment, before heading out I mumbled "goodbye" to Alexis and a yawning Jessica.
The last four months of staying here I've grown attached to the boisterous and eventful streets of New York. It would calm me walking past numerous people and observing their behaviour. Some are funny to watch, some are sad and some make me happy.
Walking into the RDS (Retro Dance Studio), I'm elated as usual.
I pass Molly, the receptionist and she gives me a wave which I return with a small smile. She must think I'm very reticent, but the truth is I'm genial with those whom I'm comfortable with. I'm not a person that would speak if not spoken too, neither am I snobbish. I appear that way to those who don't know me, but I'm just obstruct.
I got a job as an instructor at RDS during the four months we've been living here and to say I'm happy is an understatement. I'm more ecstatic to be teaching these juveniles what I've grown to love. I walk into a class of nine year olds who are waiting to master the "À la seconde" today.
"Good Morning my little Doves." I greet them, using the nickname I gave them three months back when I met them. The nickname seemed accurate to use because they exactly like doves: Pure and fragile.
"Morning Miss Denver." They all reply in perfect unison. I spot my favorite little dove that goes by the name of Lily Steinfeild, standing in her usual place: at the back of the class. Her face is a bit more sour today then it is all other days, I make a mental note to speak to her after class.