Six

Steve dragged Elizabeth through the halls of the Triskelion before walking into the room the pair had been assigned if they ever felt the need to stay at S.H.I.E.L.D. headquarters. Steve stormed over to his closet and aggressively pulled the doors open as Elizabeth did the same. However, she completed this task with a more relaxed aura about her.

"Steve, what did Fury say to make you this mad?" she asked after a few quiet minutes. 

"Nothing, really." Steve answered after a second or two. 

"You're lying." Elizabeth hummed, turning to face him. His facial features dropped as he flopped back on the king sized bed, giving up his search for a more casual outfit than his Captain America uniform. 

"It's just...Fury has no sense of what freedom means. Freedom is having the right to choose anything you want in life. Citizens can't do that if the government is going to use these new weapons as a 'security' measure." Steve sighed. Elizabeth sat on the bed next to him and pulled Steve over to her. He laid his head in her lap and let her soothingly run her fingers through his short, blonde hair.

"I understand where you're coming from. But you have to remember, they didn't grow up in the same time as us. Freedom has a whole new meaning in this era. America went through several different phases and changes while we were in the ice. You can't expect the government to just forget all of that." Elizabeth told Steve quietly, staring absentmindedly at the wall as she spoke.

"You're right, you always are. I just wish Fury would see what I'm trying to tell him. If the government tried to do things differently, S.H.I.E.L.D. wouldn't be forced to do half the stuff they have to do." Steve exclaimed in frustration. Elizabeth let out a quiet chuckle before she pressed a gentle kiss to her fiancé's forehead.

"We need to let them figure it out and make their own mistakes. How about we go down to the Smithsonian? I hear they have a new Captain America exhibit." Elizabeth suggested before she smiled cheekily down at Steve. 

"Of course. Anything for you." Steve returned her smile and sat up. Before he got up off the bed, Steve leaned over and pressed a gentle kiss to Elizabeth's lips.

"I love you, sweetheart." Steve whispered before he pulled away and once again walked over to the closet. Elizabeth followed suit and pulled out the clothes she had chosen before she and Steve had their little talk. She told Steve he could change in the bedroom while she went to change in the bathroom.

After changing into a white v-neck t-shirt and light wash skinny jeans with holes on the knees and upper left thigh, Elizabeth walked out of the bathroom to see Steve finished getting dressed. She then slipped on a pair of black sandals and a gold necklace Steve had given her a while ago as a spur of the moment gift.

Elizabeth left her hair in loose waves caused by her braid before she slid a faded, dark olive green baseball cap onto her head. 

"Let's stop by the house so I can drop off my shield." Steve suggested as the pair walked hand in hand towards his motorcycle. When they approached it, Elizabeth slid on in front of Steve so she wouldn't have to awkwardly hold onto Steve's waist around his shield.

Instead, Steve wrapped his arms around Elizabeth's waist and let her drive to their house. Elizabeth waited on the motorcycle for Steve to return. When he did, he had also added a dark blue baseball cap to his outfit. Elizabeth was keen on hiding who she really was in public, and if they were going to the Captain America exhibit, they both needed to keep their identities hidden as much as possible.

Elizabeth slid back and let Steve drive to the museum. It didn't take very long before the couple had payed their admittance fee and were walking into the exhibit, hand in hand.