Chapter 1

For some reason. Life isn't good. And it won't be for many people. It has this crazy way of making people so passionant only for them to be beaten back down to the ground again. Sometimes, it beats us so hard we gain scars. Scars for life. Or should I say because of life. The problem is, it makes us give up. On anything. Most people just can't take the torture so they leave the world, only to hope they find a better life in heaven. Then there are people like me, who hang on to the breaking rope hoping to survive. Survive the misery. Right now I'm balancing between life and death... I can only wish that my life will change soon.

I gently pushed open the heavy hospital door leading to my sisters room. I stepped in and took in my surroundings. Tubes, machines, drugs and my little sister sat up tall, full of excitment, in her metal bed. Her eyes were wide, obviously happy about the day ahead of her. The cute bandana covered her now bald head and her mouth was wide, gleaming off her teeth. I felt proud to call such a brave girl my sister. "Crystal!" I heard her cry my name in a happy tone. I grinned at her before jogging to her bedside. I pulled her in for a tight hug, gripping my arms around her weak body. She did the same, pulling the back of my baseball shirt and scrunching it up in her small palm. Once we were finally finished, I grabbed a chair and dragged it over to her bedside. I plonked my bum down, ready to chat. "How you doing Paisley?" I asked cheerful, placing my hand on her shoulder. She didn't flinch at my movement and clearly shouted "NURSE COURTNEY SAID I CAN CHOOSE MY WIG TODAY!" I gasped, soon turning my mouth into a curvy shape showing off a smile. I never thought I'd see an eight year old girl so excited to have a section of hair for her own. Paisley wiggled about in her bed, making it squeak and send shivers down my spine. "I hope I get to choose one like your hair colour" She said, streching her arm over just to twril a piece of my luggy hair around her skinny finger. I flicked it away, trying to change the subject. "Oh no you don't want that erm so when are we going?" I blurted out. She let her hand lower from near my cheek and back down to her side. "Nurse Courtney said as soon as she's ready, while were waitinggggg" She said, dragging her words. I knew exactly what she wanted. What made her most enlightened. "I'll go put 'them' on" I said sarcastically, lifting from my seat. I picked up the CD from beside the player and opened it up to reveal a shiny circle. I carefully took it from the case and loaded it into the player. Before you knew... One Direction was blasting out of the speakers.

I hummed the tune to "Moments" making Paisley grin at me proudly. "Do you even like one direction?" She asked me, leaning her head on her hands. I poked her tiny nose "Maybe a little". She squealed with excitment, pumping her fist into the air. "I actually got you to like them! Even just a bit" She yelled in my face, her green eyes lit with happiness. I chuckled at her before hearing the heavy door open behind me. It was Courtney. "Nurse Courtney!" Paisley cheers, spreading her arms begging for a hug. "Hey there darling!" She replies, happily leaning into her arms. She turned to me with a cheesy grin slapped on her face "Hiya Crystal, how are you?". She opened her arms, letting me stand up and fall into them "I'm fine Courtney, I haven't seen you in a while!" We parted which gave me a chance to get glance at her pearly white teeth. 

Paisley, myself and Courtney all sat down and had a long chat about everything that was going on in life. But to be honest, I lied about my life being 'fine'. My parents are dead, my little sister has cancer, and I'm on my own in the big scary world. The only friend I really have is Courtney, but I don't class her as a real friend. Its only because I have to see her everyday due to Paisley's illness. "Hey Crystal, can we talk for a moment?" Courtney asked politely. I snapped out of my depressing daydream and answered "Yeah sure!" We both strolled outside, slowly closing the door behind us. As soon as it was shut, Courtney burst like a bubble "I HAVE A GREAT IDEA FOR YOUR SISTER'S BIRTHDAY!" I flinched at her loud echoing voice ringing in my ears. I calmed her down a little "Ok ok Courtney! I heard you alright!" She jumped up and down before grabbing my arm and dragging me halfway down the bright hallway into her cosy office. She threw me down onto a chair before grabbing one for herself. "Right" she started "So we all know Paisley is a big fan of One Direction". I giggled to myself. That's right, mad about them and won't shut up about the 'irish' one. I nodded my head in agreement, letting her carry on explaining. "Well, I've heard they will be in the area, and we've been given the chance to let them visit here" I felt my heart lift in my chest. I can just imagine Paisley squealing in excitment and hugging her idols. "If" She said dragging it out. Oh great, always an if. She placed her hands gently on mine, locking her eyes with my dark ones. "We need someone to convince them, with a story" And so my heart sinks. I sighed "So practically you want me to get down on my knees and tell them everything thats happened to me in my lifetime, my parents, my sister, my life crumbling before me." Courtney hung her head, but then plucked up the courage to nod it. My gaze left Courtney to my feet. I had to tell 5 random boys my disorted life. Beg them to make my sister the happiest girl in the world. I have to. I finally filled my lungs with air before exhailing with a simple nod of the head. Courtney placed her hand on my cheek and whispered "You're an amazing sister" I held back the tears, and nodded again, not having enough control to speak. We embraced a hug, clinging to each tightly. They better say yes, or I swear they'll be off to heaven!