Edward

At first this septic eye seemed intriguing and interesting, now I'm afraid that it's changing me. Not physically, but in a weird... good way. It hasn't even been a full day with this green septic thing and I've felt... happier? No... not happiness. That's much too strong of a word for the moment. I know what happiness is and it's more than this.

So what is changing in me? I'm not sad, or mad. I'm excited. That's the word. I'm excited for something that I feel will change my life and everyone's around me. I don't think I'll be remembered, in fact I don't want to be famous. What will that do for me? Draw attention and an easier target for monsters. This adventure is not for me to gloat, but for my memory to have something valid. Something that when I look back on it might make me happy.

It was such an interesting looking house. I was in his office type room. Books filled several shelves and odd looking figures on a shelf as well. This dude must be pretty interesting. The style of the house looks like the attitude of the green eye. I had done a lot of investigating while everyone was resting their eyes or eye...

His name is Jack, no birth certificate was anywhere, I got this information from his work that was messily sprawled out across a table and his name was written there several times. Surprisingly not in pride, he just doodled a lot on his supposedly S.A.M. work. I found a manual for Sam for in an emergency.

At first when I came to this house I thought we were rescuing some old scientist that was wise, but looking at his notebooks and around his desks, he's not that far from an average human before the world was invaded by monsters.

There was a place I didn't go in, but I was ready now. It was a door, it said caution and I should be smarter than open a door that says caution. In fact I am the guy who always pulls the group back from danger. But I wanted to know everything I could about his guy we were rescuing plus it just said caution. I'm cautious, not lately, but I can be if I want to.

So with that I opened the door and I felt my breath get caught in my throat. It looked normal... that's why it was scary, the normal is a trick. It makes you feel safe then snap, your dead.

There were two doors. One had bathroom labeled on it another door to the right of it had sign that was made by construction paper and sharpie. 'Wait for day 235 to open' underneath the words it had tally's on it to count up to day 235. He was more then half way to the day.

The other door had a leather necklace with an emerald around it. The note said 'Put on before entering.' I decided not to mess around and test the waters so instead I put it on my neck, sliding the emerald into my worn out shirt so it was unnoticeable.

"I shouldn't be doing this. It's against what I do and what I say. This isn't me." I was about to turn around and leave until a voice in my head said, 'But it is him.'

I turned back to the door and held my hand on the knob. I took a deep breath and entered the room. The emerald in my shirt shook and lifted itself out of my shirt and scanned my face. Did I fuck up? Probably.

"Mark!" I hear a shout from afar. It sounded in pain and panic. What the hell? Who's in here?

"Identify yourself now!" I said in a stern voice, I ain't fucking around.

"Hello, Mark." A voice much calmer said and I blinked. It sounded like... Me. The place turned into a library. It looked like a library I use to visit as a kid and before the infection started and monsters were created.

"Who's there?" I reached for the knife in my backpack, but couldn't feel it in there. The fucker must've stole it.

"Don't panic! We've been expecting you." The voice was definitely me, yet calmer.

"Well that's demeaning." I laughed a little and then I notice a figure and a desk appear.

"Are you a siren?" I said inching closer until I was close to the desk and saw myself except it wasn't me. I had dark matted hair and he had combed through shorter hair. I had dark brown eyes and he had lighter, joyful eyes. I had dark bruises littered all over my arms and he didn't even had a scratch. Yet... He was still me.

"Nah, I'm just you. The red ruby scanned-" I had to cut him off.

"Red ruby? I think your mistaken. It was a green emerald." I laughed and pulled it up to my face to discover it was red. My laugh stopped. I swore it was green.

"It changes color depending on who you are. The last person to come in here had a green spirit. Jumpy and energetic-" Sounds familiar!

"Is it Jack, right?" I asked a little too excited. I wanted to meet this guy who made all the cool shit.

"Yeah, he's pretty neat and I'm not just saying that because I was technically programmed by him. Anyways, as I was saying! The ruby scanned your face and by scanning your eye for a quick amount of time he could tell who you are and created me, well created you as me. But I'm still you. Personality wise. Make sense?" My eyebrows furrowed and I was becoming skeptical.

"How come you- or I- you- we- what do I call..." I gestured toward him. Or me. Or us. I still don't get it.

"Just call me you as a pronoun and call me Edward. Edward for our middle name. Pretend we're like twins, it'll make this easier. I'll call you Mark." He tried to explain this and I laughed.

"Alright well what's the point of the room. I know this Jack character just doesn't make things for fun. He always seems to have a reason." I looked at Edward and around me all the shelves in the library were empty.

"If you let the ruby scan your eyes for a minute, I can guarantee this next chapter will be a real doozy." I laughed at the comment.

"Library puns, really? You're better then that Ed." I pulled the ruby into my hand and looked back up at Edward.

"Sorry the programmer for me enjoys a good old pun." I lifted the ruby to my eyes to scan. After it was done the rub my dropped back to my chest and Edward laughed.

He stepped to my side and smiled. I looked forward my mouth dropping. This was definitely not a regular library.