Chapter 2

Your Pov~
"Hey, you're one minute late." Joshua stated, you checked your watch. He was right, 12:01am.
You shrugged and sat down.
"What's wrong?" He asked, he always know's when i'm upset. I'm grateful for that. I shrugged once more before stating "I'm scared. The selection is coning up..."
The Selection is another twisted thing my kingdom does.
Basically, when a prince needs to get married, in every caste, women eligible, so ages 16-21, must apply to The Selection. Thirty five girls are chosen, and stay at the palace, and the prince must date them until he narrows down who he wants to marry.
Quite shitty, isn't it?
Yet tomorrow, I must apply.
"Don't be scared. You probably will get chosen."
"But, I don't want to be chosen. I want to stay here, live a normal life, and not just be a toy for the prince to decide whether he wants me or not."
Josh chuckled before responding. "You do have an awesome point there."
I could feel my face getting hot as he complimented me.
"But seriously, do you want to stay a 6 for the rest of your life? Even if he doesn't choose you, you're a 2 the rest of your life."
"Yeah but... I don't want to leave you, picked or not."
I could see his toothy grin in the dark, his smile could light up a dark room, and my life.
I had always gone through issues, not just me being a 6, but my family treats me poorly, my mother has always been abusive. She hates the life we have, and takes it out on us.
That being said, I also have major anxiety. It's the worst thing in the world. But Joshua is there for me through it all.
"I don't want you to leave either, but I do want you to have a good life." He continued.
Although we're only friends, we don't mind the occasional cuddle. So I snugged up into his side as his arm wrapped around my shoulders.
I wish I could stay like this forever.
.:::.:.:. time skip brøught tø yøu by the lady bug that was øn tyjø's pianø..:.:..:::
The next morning, my father walked me to the community center where there was not a very long line of girls.
There aren't many girls around my age, so I wasn't expecting much. Soon enough, it had gotten to my turn. I wrote down all of my information, and soon enough I had to have a picture taken. I smiled, like it would be send to Joshua. That really helped my smile.
I may actually look decent for once.
Maybe.
::.;..::::.time skip brøught tø yøu by me being børed:::.:::.::
It was about a week later, and it was time to hear who was chosen.
Oh god oh god oh god oh god.
I am terrified.
My whole family sat down in front of the mediocre tv, not all of us could see.
And it began.
I watched as the king and queen stepped forth.
What if that's me one day?
"Citizens of Illea, we gather here today in celebration at the beginning of the selection!" the crowd cheered. how?
The prince came forth, as he did my little sister April tugged on my sleeve. "Isn't he cute?????" She simply asked.
"I guess so."
The host, Gavril perhaps, handing the prince a list. He was cute.
"Hello, everyone." He started. I love his voice.
"I'm proud to say, I am now reading the list of girls to be put in a selection to be my future wife." I took a deep breath. Please not me.
"1. Samantha Hope, 3."
He continued to read off names, as I completely lost my focus.
"33. Celeste Newcome, 2."
He's almost done.
"34. Kristen Hope."
Maybe I wasn't chosen.
"And last, but not least, 35. Y/F/N, 6." (Your full name)
shit.