Surprise Surprise!

Nandini:
"okay! So guys today's treat is on me! Let's go for dinner!" Cabir announced and everyone hooted.
"Cabir it's a great idea! But i am sorry.. I can't accompany you guyz!"i said in a guilty tone and Manik looked at me surprised.
"kyu?"he asked cutely. I swear Manik i hate to lie.
"vo one because I'm feeling a little headache and two i had promised Rishabh and Malini to help them in their projects that they have to submit tomorrow!"i lied and everyone knew the real reason except Manik.
"listen in that case.. Even I'm staying back! You guyz go!"Manik declared and we were dumbstruck.
"noo.. You can't do that Manik!"Alya screamed and Manik looked at her horrified while we all mentally cursed her a million times.
"i.. I mean.. Its been so long that we've had this Fab5 style party.."she said.
"haan aur buddy tujhe toh jabse girlfriend mili hai tu hume bhul hi gya hai!"Dhruv hit the bull's eye.
"dhruv yeh kya bol rha hai.. How can i forget you guyz.."he said in a victimized tone. I am sorry love.
"Manik Dhruv bilkul sahi keh rha hai.. Thik hai tujhe nhi aana mat aa.. Phir humse baat mat karna.."Mukti started her emotional blackmail.
"dekha Nandini tumne humse humare Manik ko kitna dur kar diya. Aaj usse tumhare aage kuch dikhta hi nhi.. Hum bhi nhi.."Alya faked anger on me because we knew whatever may happen Manik won't bare a single word against me.
"yaar yeh kya bol rhe ho!"he said irritatedly.
"Manik chale jao.. Please. Don't make them feel left out.. Mere saath toh sab hai na.. Chacha chachi Rishabh Malini, uncle aunty sab.. Tum jao.. And enjoy.."i put the final nail and he was left with no option but to agree to go with them.
"fine!"he said angrily and i smiled while the others pretending to be angry with me made a move and left us alone.
"i don't want to go without you!"i cried digging his face in my shoulder like a child. I hugged him back to support myself and then pushed him slightly to balance both us while stayed put.
"Manik! You can't do this to your friends na.. See Cabir's so happy today! You have to be a part of his happiness like he's always been a part of yours!"i said and my lines were convenient enough to convince him after all our Manik had turned Slightly emotional Over the six months because he knew there was someone always to hold him when he would be emotionally broken and so emotional blackmails worked on him now.
"i still can't believe you're sending me away that too today!"he muttered turning away and i smiled to myself.
I was lost in my thoughts when he abruptly turned and found me smiling at a total nothingness.
"Nandini!"he called and i looked at him trying hard to suppress my smile.
"why are you smiling like this!"he asked with his narrowed in suspicion.
"s.. Smile.. Mai.. Nhi.. Toh.. Vo toh i was just thinking about Navya's reaction when she saw Cabir on his knees.."i made up and he was convinced again.
"hnmm.. Btw.. Whats the date tomorrow.."he asked with a smile and he knew what je wanted me to say but i wouldn't. Usually that's what girlfriends do to remind their boyfriends about the special dates in their calendar!
"umm.. 15 October.. Why?i said casually.
"nothing! I'll see you later!"his face dropped at my casual reply. I bet he wanted me to jump and hug and yell at him an it's-your-birthday Manik phrase. But i wouldn't do that now.
....
"hello.. Mom.. You're up till now.. Whats up! I had told you i would be late!please don't wait! "he said in one go over the phone. Nyonika aunty looked at me and asked me what to say. She was even worse when it came to lying to her son but she could do anything to make him happy. I wrote on a pad what she had to say and passed it to her as walked around to give the final touch to the arrangements.
It had again started raining and i had again drenched myself while getting the stuff at Manik's place. Akshaan uncle had though warned me against drenching myself but i couldn't help it. And now i was into the sneezing tiff again.
I moved away from aunty as i sneezed my lungs out this time.
"beta! Vo.. Nandini.."she stammered and i encouraged her to speak while sneezing a million times in a minute.
We could hear his breathing getting uneven over the loudspeaker as he asked, "what about her?"
"she isn't well. The Murthys are at our place and Nandini she is still unconscious!"she said in a single breath and i sneezed again.
"whatt?"he screamed, "i am coming!"
He disconnected and in the next minute i received a message.
:that wasn't a good idea.. He's totally worked up right now! Our car is now a jet Nandini.. I hate you.. And i hate Manik when he drives like this! Hope we reach home safe!: it was from Alya. Poor they. I too hope they reach home safe.
....
"Ma!"came his voice from amidst the darkness in the hall.
"mom!"he called again into nothingness.
"Dad!"he screamed. He was scared of darkness since always.
"Nandini! Nandini!"it sounded more like a prayer he was reciting.
I knew it was time.
"Manik!"i said softly assuring him that we were around.
"kaha ho yaar.. What kind of a joke is this!"he shrieked and finally we heard the wall clock strike twelve.
Cabir, as planned switched on the spotlight that landed right on him. Further a HAPPY BIRTHDAY! glowed amongst tiny lights resembling his favorite - STARS.

"happy birthday Manik!"Nyonika aunty spoke as i controlled my sneezes that could've ruined everything

"happy 21 years of a beautiful journey Manik!"i said and the lights switched on as he looked at all of us

Fab5 pounced on him for their group hugwhile the rest of us watched them from a distance before my sneezes took to everyone's notice.
'achhoo! Achhooo!'i sneezed twice every minute.
Chachi finally gave me the warm water as Rishabh and Malini got the cake.
"Maan bhai! Cmon! Let's cut the cake!"Malini exclaimed pulling him to the cake but his attention was totally on me as i sneezed again.
I smiled at him and signaled him to the cut the cake but he stood stiff.
"Manik!cake cut kar!"Mukti and Dhruv shouted breaking his trance and he looked at the cake and smiled. He cut the cake as we sang a happy birthday to you for him like little kids around the birthday boy.
He turned to everyone with the cake pieces in his hand while i stood in a corner waiting for my chance to come. He was a VIP today afterall.
"Nandu di! Ab toh aap jiju se dur hi rehna!"Rishabh said from a distance grabbing everyone's attention and i flushed. 'jiju' that too in front of everyone. Fab5 hooted hearing his line while Manik came towards me.
"arey... Aapko toh cold ho gya hai! Agar jiju ko bhi ho gya toh!"he said and i sneezed again. Aah.. How i seriously hate sneezing at such moments.
Manik came and stood in front of me and smiled.
"surprise, surprise!"i said softly.
"hnmm.. And what about this surprise! And you made mom lie to me.. "he pinched my red nose.
"i had to! There was no way to get you back home.. Specially when you get into your party mode.
" and you know what my condition was when i heard that you had fainted.. I literally flew our car!"he complained with the cake melting in his hand. I held his hand and in a swift move ate the cake and he was taken by surprise. I further moved his hand towards his mouth and fed him back after which i took some cream and put it on his nose.
"i know.. Alya had texted me asking me to pray for all of you to reach home safe.."i said.
"they knew!"
"everyone knew!"
"i thought you guyz forgot.."he said and i smiled.
"how can we! How can I.. You mean the universe to me.. And i forget the day when you came on this earth from heaven only to be mine.. Hows that even possible!"i said and he put some cream on my nose as well trying hard not to hug each other in front of everyone.