Chapter 10

There was a moment of silence as Medea's body fell to the ground looking like a pin cushion. Over a dozen arrows had pierced the body of the sorceress from their archers. Mnemosyne looks shocked for a moment before she screams and launches an attack at the demigods but they are already moving.

Clarisse has launched herself at the Titaness, her spear crackling with energy, and attacks viciously. The Titaness seemed surprised at the ferocity of the attack but she recovered quickly and knocked Clarisse hard across the field. She smirked for a moment before Reyna's blade slashed across the immortal's back. The Imperial Gold burning into the immortal flesh.

Mnemosyne screamed in rage and lashed out at the Praetor but she jumped back and started calling orders to everyone.

Nico pulled his sword out of an empousa when all of a sudden he doubled over in pain and fell to the ground with a feeling that someone just ripped his heart out. He felt death like he never had before and he couldn't hear Will yelling at him worriedly. Looking up at the blonde, Will's voice froze at the look on Nico's face. It was something he had never seen before.

"Nico" he whispered.

Nico turned and looked over and saw Katie Gardiner fighting some of the monsters and he knew. Looking back at Will his voice cracked with his words. "Demeter" he croaked.

"Demeter? What about Demeter?" Will asked, fear in his voice. Nico saw a Thomas, son of Demeter who looked over at the mention of his mother.

"She...she's dead" Nico managed to get out. Will went pale. He looked over at Thomas who looked at Nico in disbelief.

"That's impossible" Thomas yelled. "She's a Goddess!"

Nico didn't know how to answer him but his eyes spoke volumes. Will felt his blood run cold. If Demeter had died, then could the other gods die? Was everything lost?

Suddenly a horn sounded. Looking around there was a shimmering from the woods when all of sudden a wave of arrows cut through the air to mow down a swath of monsters. Will looked stunned and looked around to see the shock on everyone's faces when the Hunters of Artemis, led by Thalia Grace, and followed by a horde of warrior women, exploded from the woods. The Amazons had joined the fight and all of a sudden things were looking good again.

"Nico!" he looked over and saw Lou Ellen and Drew running towards them. "We still have our powers!" she yelled. "The potion failed!"

Nico's eyes widened and he reached out and summoned two skeletal warriors and then fell over backwards to be caught by Will. The sudden drain on him almost made him black out but he still had his powers! "You idiot!" Will screamed. "I told you no more shadow powers!"

Nico opened his mouth to nod as the word spread among the demigods that the sorceress and Titaness had failed when everyone turned as Nico screamed in agony. Reyna and Clarisse both turned towards the son of Hades as Will felt his blood freeze again.

"Nico? Was it..." Will didn't want to say it. If he didn't say it, then it couldn't be real.

"Hestia" Nico whispered, the pain clear in his voice. "Hestia is dead."

The others were stunned but it felt somehow different than before. Despite her role as Goddess of the Hearth, Hestia had no children at either camp so she was in some ways an unknown. They were upset of course, but not like when Demeter died. That was too real.

Will and Katie were ordered by Clarisse and Reyna to get Nico to Chiron and figure out what was happening. The death of two Olympians was unheard of and no one knew what it would mean. Clarisse and Reyna had quickly ordered their forces to unite and surge toward Thalia. Once connected the three female demigods combined strategies and forces are turned on the former Roman allies.