Part 3. First Date

"...and sometimes we just get Starbucks. I usually get something caramel or chocolate, but Maggie here just gets iced coffee. What about you? Do you like Starbucks?"

"I like iced coffee the most. The other stuff is a little too excessive for my tastes."

"Makes sense." I say. "You don't seem over the top at all." I look at her as I take a sip of my chocolate milkshake. My straw is orange.

"Thanks?" Julia glances into my eyes before looking away. She takes a dainty sip of her shake. She got chocolate too, but her straw is blue. "I like your hair, by the way."

"Thanks." I say. I smile slightly and tuck a strand behind my ear. I'm proud of my hair. "I like yours. It's pretty."

She blushes and looks away again. "Thanks. It's very plain."

"Plain can be okay. Sometimes I like plain." I say. I put my elbows on the counter and lean forward. She's sitting right across from me in the booth, with Jazz next to her (for support, I suppose. My flirting can get pretty intense). I look her over in an interested manner.

Jazz breaks into the conversation and abruptly says, "Okay... I'm going to the bathroom while y'all eye-fuck each other. Can you stand up real quick?"

Julia blushes and stands to let Jazz out of the booth, before sitting back down.

"I'll be just a sec." Jazz calls out, already halfway to the bathroom.

There's a moment of silence. I don't believe in awkward silences. Unless someone intends for it to be awkward, it's just silence.

"So... are you straight?" I ask.

Julia seems to have been expecting this question. She plays with her milkshake by stirring it with her straw. "No," she says simply. She looks up from her shake. "Are you?" And for once she keeps eye contact with me. She has these beautiful brown eyes, chocolate and caramel and coffee all mixed together. Now I'm intimidated by her.

"No." I say.

What is with this girl? Is she just acting for Jazz or something? What does she want?

She drops her eyes from mine and focuses on stirring her milkshake again.

"Oh." She doesn't seem surprised. "You're cute." She adds, almost as an afterthought.

"You're cute too." This isn't a lie. She is cute.

"Is this our first date?" She smirks at me and for once I am at a loss for words. I just stare at this magnificent girl and wonder where the hell she has been all my life. But I have to keep my cool. I recover as quickly as I can.

"I guess." I shrug.

She leans forward, elbows on the table, as I did minutes before. She stares into my eyes with her beautiful ones. "Great. I'll organize our second one."

The bathroom door closes loudly and Jazz bustles back to sit down. "Hey guys," she waits for Julia to stand up again before sitting down in her spot. "What'd I miss?"

"Nothing, really." Julia says, smiling at Jazz.