Part 2. Julia

I climb out of my mom's car, along with my brother, Jeremy. He's a senior now. We haven't really hung out together since we were around seven or eight. I'm still gonna miss him when he leaves for college.
I hastily say goodbye to my mom, grabbing my backpack. Jeremy and I walk into the lobby. He goes over to his cluster of friends. I head to the bathroom, hoping it's empty.
As I step in, I hear voices. Shit. I can't even be alone in a fucking bathroom, because idiot girls need to fix up their mascara and hair. They need to look perfect while sitting for the next  six hours, not paying any attention whatsoever to the teacher.
I hastily retreat, glaring at the floor. Luckily the bell rings just then, so I don't have to awkwardly wait alone in the lobby.
I go to my locker and put away some of my new binders. I keep three of them for my next few classes.

Four class periods later is my lunch period. I sit with my best friend Jazzmyne, who everybody simply calls Jazz. She's really hot. She's African American, a little heavy but in a good way, and her makeup is always the shit. She wears cute stuff like leather jackets and overalls, really brave stuff. Our styles are somewhat similar. I wear a lot of vintage jumpsuits, dresses and bright jackets, and see-through shirts with bralettes underneath. She's also pansexual, which must be another reason why we gravitated towards each other in eighth grade, seeing as I'm bisexual. We've never dated, or wanted to date, each other. We're best friends, that's all.

Today she's wearing a purple galaxy crop top over some high waisted jeans that have tons of holes scattered on them. She decided to skip her hardcore lipsticks today and is wearing a pretty natural look. God, I love her.

I'm wearing a green velour skirt (any Futurama fans out there?) and a striped pastel pink and blue crop top. I'm wearing my sapphire blue converse, which I wear every day. My bright blue hair is braided into pigtails. By the way, it's not pastel. I don't fuck around, I'm serious with this shit.

I sit down at our table. There's a girl I don't recognize sitting next to Jazz, who I glance at and proceed to ignore.

"Sup bitch." I say to Jazz.

"Hey, jerk." Jazz retorts.

The girl sitting next to Jazz looks uncomfortable. She doesn't seem like our kind of friend, but I decide to take pity.

"Hey. I'm Maggie."

"I'm Julia. I just moved here from Washington." She seems intimidated by me.

"DC?" I ask.

"No, the state." She is definitely avoiding eye contact. Am I that intimidating, or do I have eye gunk or something?

"Damn. What brings you to this hellhole?"

Jazz answers. "Her parents are getting divorced. Her mom applied for a new job here and they're still looking for a place. They're renting out the apartment."

Jazz's mom owns a hair salon and the apartment above, but they already have a house so she just rents it out.

"That sucks. How's Greenview working out for you so far?"

Julia shrugs. "It's fine."

"So you're staying here, right? Like, your mom got a job in Greenview so you're looking for houses here too, right?"

"Yes, that's the plan."  I get kind of irritated that she seems so bored with the conversation.

"Here's some advice: if you want to be popular, you should stay away from us. You dress kind of like the girly girls, you have long hair, and you're cute. You might get shunned if you hang with us. Just a warning. This is your exit if you want to take it."

She scrunches her eyebrows together in an adorable way. "Why would you think that I'd give up on people so easily? You both seem nice. I'd like to be your friend."

"Ok..." I say cautiously.

"So it's settled. She's in the group." Jazz smiles. She turns to Julia excitedly. "Wanna get milkshakes with us after school?"

Julia beams. "I'd love to."

I scan her face for something suspicious but don't find anything. Which, in itself, is suspicious.