Chapter 1

There exists a world, known as Grandia. In this world exists many creatures, and humans. The world relies heavily on magic, an unsourceable energy that exists in only half of the population. The presence of magic (or lack thereof) in humans has ultimately divided them into separate groups: The Magi and the Pleban. The Magi boasted innate magic, the weakest form of magic which indicates if the human is a Magi at birth. The Pleban are just regular people. Innate magic was usually nothing more than a faint glow at birth, but some Magi have mastered innate magic in various ways. Aside from that, Magi had to use various incantations to further use the latent power of Magic. These incantations were called "signs" and were always said at the beginning of the spell. Aside from the naturally established discrimination between Magi and Pleban, the Magi began to question themselves. Specifically, they questioned as to who was the strongest. This gave way to an annual tournament. Families of Magi formed, and soon Pleban were the minority. A Pleban was a disgrace in a Magi lineage, so some families would kill them in secret if the mother ever gave birth to one. These families gave way to Estates, where the strongest of Magi governed, monitoring society and keeping their honor. Out of these Estates was the Fantasia Estate, a famous family filled with gifted Magi. The family was Leonard Fantasia, the grandfather, Lena Fantasia, the mother, Theodore Fantasia, the father, Melissa Fantasia, the daughter, and Troy Fantasia, the son. The family tree only expanded when Leonardo's brother, a Pleban named Bastion, passed away. His heir were Magi, however. Zachary Willis and Satora Willis, who had their names changed to Fantasia. The death of their father did not faze them, as they much preferred the uptight life of a Fantasia. One year later, Lena Fantasia had given birth. The newborn was a baby boy, who giggled cutely. However, the room did not mirror such happiness. "He isn't glowing!" Snorted Zach, who was 13. The children were all different ages, Melissa being the oldest. "I know..." Lena began to shed tears. She put her head down, her eyes shielded by her scarlet hair, which was a trademark to all of the Fantasia family. Zach scoffed and grabbed a knife. Before he could come forward, Troy, who had his eyes glued on the baby boy, stopped him. "Just because he isn't a Magi doesn't make him any less of a Fantasia!" Shouted Troy, thoroughly pissed. "But if people knew-" Theodore was cute off by his wife. "Nobody will know. He is our new child...We can't kill him, but we can hide him." She said, caressing her smiling baby. Melissa chimed in, "I can set up the basement for him. Troy and I can tutor him." The room looked down for a few minutes, quite depressingly. Suddenly, Leonardo interrupted the silence. "I can tutor the boy. Ill give him his name too." He snatched the baby and they both giggled. "Maxie..."