Chapter 2

Maxie was a happy boy. His brother had given him his trademark Fantasia robe, which seemed like a blanket on the boy. The Fantasia robes consist of a ruffled cotton robe and various red ribbons, which Maxie adored tying to his wrist and thigh. Melissa donated her shorts, which were like pants. He felt loved, especially by his brother, who obsessively fondled Maxie's unique curly brown hair. Maxie especially adored his grandfather, Leonardo. It was a good life, but there was one rule: Maxie could not go out of his room. He broke it repeatedly, when he thought everyone was asleep. He had healthy interaction with his parents and his family, but he was secretly bullied by Zach and his friends from school. "Look at this magicless rodent! He's probably adopted!" said one of the boys. Zach laughed and scoffed. "Yea, he's so inadequate! If only I was allowed to kill him." Maxie always cried when they said that. It hurt him. "Why doesn't Zach wuv me, Gwandpa?" He asked, full of tears. "Because creatures who live in the dark don't tend to like brightness, my dear boy." Answered his grandpa. Maxie was always cheered up by his grandfather, and also by his brother. He was always shy when talking to his parents but he was never less than energetic when it came to his relatives, especially Melissa, whom he looked up to. "Why isn't my hair red, Mel?" He asked. "Because you're special." She answered in a soft voice, smiling. Melissa had beautiful and long scarlet hair, her cotton robe as slim as her figure. Troy had spiky red hair, and he liked to wear sleeveless cotton robes, which is why he gave his old one to Maxie. He was fairly muscular. Leonardo wore a shriveled robe, faded and stained. Maxie always liked to talk about appearances, but he was in awe of his mother and father. Lena had a bobcut, her red bangs obeying her hairline. She had fierce green eyes, and her robe looked more like a regal trench coat. Theodore was more robusk, and he had a scarlet beard. His eyes were a soul striking aqua, and his robe was like royal garb, so elegant and superior. Maxie never liked his cousins. Satora was always asleep; She was a little girl who never got out of her pink dress and had blonde hair. Maxie hated Zach. Zach wore a short sleeve robe and had blue hair. Aside from them, Maxie never saw anyone else. He began to fill a little lonely. "Mel, why don't you rub my tushy like Troy does?" Asked Maxie innocent. Melissa's eyes widened. "W-wha?! (Is that some sort of boy thing?) Because I...I'm not a boy?" She answered, confused. Maxie had it good and happy. He knew he couldn't use magic but he didn't care. That is, until his 11th birthday. It took place in his room, all of the family laughing and chatting. The birthday boy's face was covered in cake, which Troy questionably licked from his cheek. They all sang happy birthday and laughed. Then, suddenly, Zach spoke. "God! You're also juvenile and simple! He's not even Magi! HE SHOULDNT EVEN LIVE! Stop mooching up to such a pea-" Zach was promptly cut off by a great sucker punch, delivered by Troy. Zach looked surprised but he collected himself. He scoffed and walked off. One by one, they left the room, following. First Melissa, then Theodore, and lastly Lena. "It's not true...You're special to us even without magic!" Assured Troy. Leonardo looked down, and sulked. He left as well. "Why doesnt Mommy says she loves me...?" Asked Maxie, with tears slowly dripping of his face. "Uh..." Troy sighed. "I love you..." And then he walked out. Maxie sat down and cried, holding a book that his grandpa had given him for his birthday. He cried and cried and cried, until he got an idea. "Maybe I should run away! And never come back!" He felt so sure of this idea that he waited until nightfall. Once he felt that everyone was asleep, he left his room. Due to him breaking his rule multiple times, he knew the Estate fairly well. It was like a castle, and distant from other Estates. He went to the south exit, by the garden. The path lead to a thick forest. He skipped cheerfully, giggling as he left. "I wonder what they'll think teehehehe!" As he disappeared from sight, a hand set a teacup down. Melissa looked up...and sighed.