Chapter 11

Monday at Blue Ridge High found Tyra and his four friends gathered around their favorite lunch tree, sitting beneath the branches that were showing buds of green leaves.

"I'm going to Raylington," Jamie announced with pride. "I put my acceptance letter in the mail this morning."

"Hey, man, congratulations!" Jerrik said enthusiastically, and he slapped Jamie on the back none-too-gently. "That's great. Finally, one of us bit the bullet." Next he smacked Tyra on the shoulder. "You're next, buddy."

"Dalling," Tyra said simply as he slowly poked his container of noodles with a fork. "Talking to my parents tonight and putting my letter in the mail tomorrow."

"Wow, Mr. Indecisive finally talks turkey," Jerrik said grinning. "Now all that remains is Sally's choice."

"You two are not making this any easier by choosing different universities," she muttered. "I really don't know yet. And Jerrik, what about you? You've been looking so smug the whole day."

Jerrik grinned broadly. "College is going to have to wait. I got signed go to pro with skateboarding. The deal got sealed this Saturday, and I'm now a member of the Stonetown sportswear extreme team. I start training for team routines this weekend, and I start travelling for shows and competitions the day after graduation."

"Get out of here. No way, man! That's fantastic!" Tyra said. He clasped hands with Jerrik in a fraternal gesture.

Jamie snorted in disgust. "See what I meant about you guys falling on your heads? You're hopeless, really." But then he smiled. "Oh well, congratulations, Jerrik. Just try to get your sense back some time."

"And I'm still stuck at this boring school for another year," Atsayal muttered. "I can't wait to get to the sorcery academy and finally learn something useful."

"Like how to take over Wyndrah? If you do, count me in," Sally said with a broad grin. "Then I'll dictate the fashion."

"When you guys are done taking over the world, cut me off a slice of it, would you?" Tyra said with a small smile. Then he put the remainder of his lunch aside and stretched out on the grass, looking up at the budding branches above. A warm breeze played across his face.

"Nah, maybe you get a small island if you're really nice to us," Sally graciously offered. Then she grew serious again. "Hey, you alright? You have that something-is-bothering-Tyra wrinkle between your brows."

Tyra sighed and shook his head slowly. "You remember that little itty bitty age difference problem between me and Elain we were talking about a while back?"

"Yeah, what about it?" Sally asked. "Oh no, did he find out about your age, Tyra?" The others were all listening carefully now.

"No, it's not that," he replied. "Just that the itty bitty difference isn't so itty bitty." Tyra sighed, and the sigh ended in a small groan. "Elain's turning one-hundred and twenty next month. Oh, and he freaking owns the Velvet Shadow."

For a few seconds everyone gaped silently at Tyra before they all started talking at the same time.

"He's what?"

"And I picked him out for you, man!"

"Would you shut up for a moment, Jerrik?"

"Now that is indeed a major problem."

"Guys!" Sally admonished. "We're no help at all here. What do you want to do about it, Tyra?"

"I was starting to lean toward the time machine idea again," Tyra said. "Guys, I don't know what the hell to do. I thought it was bad before, but now with him being the owner and being more than a century older, I don't know how I can possibly tell him I'm only eighteen!"