Chapter 12

Elain started the next morning with a massive headache and a severe wish to stay in bed and never get up again. But he had work to do, and he knew that if he just lay around and moped, it would never get better. He had tried it in the past, and it had only gotten worse.

After a few cups of strong coffee and some headache medicine, he was ready to brave the growing pile of documents on his desk. Most were about the charity event yesterday. Although Elain was glad that the party had raised such a big donation sum, he felt a sharp sting of hurt whenever he thought about it. Elain had no idea how he had endured the rest of the evening after his reception speech. Now it seemed like a hazy blur of faces, polite talk, and false smiles.

And he had really looked forward to yesterday evening...

A sharp knock on the door pulled Elain out of his dark thoughts. "Yes?"

Marithia came in, hair in disarray, her eyes blazing. "Did you take a look at the newspapers already?" she asked.

"No, but..."

"Well, what do you think of this?" She slapped a batch of newspapers on his desk.

On top of it lay the "Avras Daily Mirror", one of he worst tabloid press papers in the country. The front page was one big picture: Tyrallin, whose face wasn't in clear view, holding Elain's wrist. The headline proudly announced in bold letters, "Scandal at the annual charity party! Velvet Shadow's elusive owner caught in a fight with his lover!"

Elain quickly took a look at the next newspaper. It was sporting a similar picture, but now Tyrallin's face was in clear view. The headline was even more damning: "High school boy and club owner: no match made in heaven!"

Elain closed his eyes. He didn't need to look at the last two newspapers to know that they sported similar headlines.

"It looks like your days of hiding from the press are a thing of the past," Marithia said. "They're going to be all over you after this." Marithia picked up one of the papers and looked at it. "I just can't believe Tyra was only eighteen. Hey, you okay, boss?"

"No, I'm not." Elain took off his glasses and rubbed the bridge of his nose. The headache was evolving into a migraine. "Forests, what a mess. I need to make a press statement, or the club's image will be ruined."

A small frown appeared between Marithia's brows. "I wasn't asking how you are professionally. How are you personally, Elain? That had to be a big shock."

"It was, and I feel worse than I've ever felt before," Elain told her quietly, not looking at her. "There I thought I had found the one perfect sire on Wyndrah because he's different from all the rest, but that's because he's practically still a child and just hadn't enough time to grow up to be like all the others. But despite that I might have given it a chance... if he had just told me."

Marithia let out a slow sigh. "I was really clear about it when I told him to be honest with you. Considering all the press nightmares we're going to have to deal with now, I should have taken him by the pointy ear and screamed it at him. Want me to ask Conroy to call your public relations rep on my way out, boss?"

"Yes, please. And Marithia?" Elain finally looked up at her. "This was the last time for good. If you ever see me talking to a sire again in more than business-like fashion, find an excuse to get me away from him immediately. I'm serious."

Marithia's face fell, but she reluctantly nodded her head. "Whatever you say, Elain." She left the room, muttering curses under her breath as she went.

Elain took a last, disdainful look at the newspapers before he put them aside. Now it was up to the PR rep to find a good way to clear things up. Luckily, the Velvet Shadow had a very good PR rep, but there had never been so much dust to settle before.