Cool Cat

The following afternoon, Shirley and Tommy took a walk along the sea. They were getting back on the bus in an hour and they had wanted to stretch their legs.  The sea was a dull green beneath the uncomplimentary grey skies.

Shirley still felt downbeat; and it was quite apparent Tommy had noticed.  "What's wrong with you?" he had asked five times that morning. 

"Nothing's fucking wrong," she had replied irritably on the fifth question.

Now they didn't talk at all and the squawks of seagulls filled the silence.

"I don't know, Shirl, you just seem really pissed off," said Tommy, eventually.

She remained silent. She was pissed off now. Pissed off he kept asking her. Why couldn't she just keep things to herself? Did he have to share every last sentiment him? She didn't remember that being part of their wedding vows. "Look, sometimes people just feel down. They don't feel like smiling and laughing and talking. What's the problem?" she snapped.

"The problem is that I'm worried about you," he replied, stopping in his tracks and holding out his hands. "Is that okay?"

"Well don't be," she said. "I'm just down. There's no reason. I just don't feel happy today."

Yes, she knew she lied, but at the same time, she felt she had a right to keep the story behind her grief private.  What comfort would he take, anyway, on knowing that she was upset about her dead ex?

"Well, would you like an ice cream, misery guts?" he asked, nodding to the deserted   shop on the promenade.

Shirley eyed up the multi-coloured squares within the glass case.  "Okay" she replied, shrugging. "Rum 'n' raison, please."

Tommy walked to the stand and she watched him order her ice cream, his thick winter's coat blew behind him. He towered over the lady behind the counter, and so he bent down to talk to her, leaning on the glass.

She rolled her eyes. He would probably talk to her for about ten minutes. It was the northerner in him. They always had to go around talking to everyone all the time. She winced with irritation, as she saw him swing one foot behind the other. Yep, the brakes were on.

She turned and walked towards the sea, pulling out her tobacco. Urgh, she knew she was being unpleasant, but she just couldn't help it. It was like the brakes had too been slammed on her mood.

After some time, she saw a light brown ice-cream appear before her and she forced her lips into a tight smile, before taking it in her hands, and stuffing her tobacco back in her pocket.

They continued their conversationless stroll.

Suddenly Shirley felt a presence by her side.  It appeared so quickly, there was no time to jump or react. There was something large and white just by her cheek.

She let out a rippling scream as the seagull ripped the ice-cream from her hands, and she felt her heart hammer within her chest.

Tommy chased the thing, and it flapped away, dripping the rum n raisin residue on the gravel prom.

"Oh the nerve!" Shirley cried.

Tommy shook his head, returning and putting an arm around her.

She leaned into him, still overcome by shock. She felt him begin to shake with laughter, and soon, against all odds, she began to crease.  They stood there laughing in each other's arms, the tension melting away.

"I thought it was a big... I don't know... a big ghost or something," said Shirley, looking up at him and wiping away the tears.

"It was like a flying cat!" said Tommy, his eyes bright. "Bloody massive."

Shirley bit her lip, still giggling. In those moments she seemed to remember her affection for her husband. He looked handsome to her again, with his unshaven scarred jaw, and broad reassuring smile.

She let out a breath and they walked along together, his arm still slung around her shoulders.

"I might head back to town," she said, "let you wrap up your tour in style."

"Really?" he said frowning.

"Well, yeah. You said it yourself, I'm a misery," she replied. She was surprised he was surprised. It seemed like the obvious thing to do.

"Well...," said Tommy slowly. "Why don't you go to the house? I already asked the contractors to fix the heating and piping... half of it should be liveable from tomorrow."