Astalot Farm

Shirley collapsed into the warm car gratefully. "Oh, thank f-" she began, clamping her mouth shut.

She wasn't quite sure why she had such bad Tourett's tonight.

The engine accelerated and Shirley leaned back in the car seat, relaxing for the first time that evening, whilst half-listening to Ellie chatter about her university friends.

She gazed out of the window. They drove down narrow country roads and all Shirley could make out were the bare bushes on either side. It was slightly spooky but Shirley told herself this was all a normality of country existence. No bars. No shops. No people. She took a deep breath.

Ellie turned her head suddenly, "So, were you not a bit scared to buy Astalot?"

Shirley smiled wryly. "Yeah, it wasn't cheap."

"Really?" replied Ellie. "Even with all the stories-"

Shirley's vision went wavy for a second. "Sorry?" 

"Eleanor, stop!" Caroline snapped.

"No, no it's okay," said Shirley leaning forwards. "What stor...what do you mean?"

There was silence and the two women stared ahead as they sped through the lanes.

Shirley let out a laugh. "Fucking hell...okay."

"There's a few old tales about your property," said Caroline, flicking on her indicator. "Old, unproven stories. Most probably fictional."

"Such as?" Shirley pressed, as they turned down a smaller dirt track.

"Just a load of rubbish that I'm not going to tell you about right now," said Caroline firmly as they hurtled along. "Now, this is the road which leads to your house, Shirley. I will drive you as far down it as I can. Do you have a torch on you or something?"

Shirley exhaled again. "Um, hmm. Well I've got a lighter if that's what you mean?"

The two women remained silent, and Shirley now saw the near-half moon lit up a huge empty field to her right, and to her left, sure enough she saw the glimmer of the brook.

She fumbled in her pocket and pulled out her lighter. And then she grabbed her phone from her bag and looked at the screen hopefully. Yes! She had three glorious bars! And... thirteen messages; one from her mum and the rest from Tommy. 

"Babe, all good?"

She scrolled through them. They got more frantic.

"What the fuck, Shirl? I'm worried."

The last one.

"Babe!!!!!!???? Fuck, please."

She frowned and went to her call log, pressing his name and placing the phone to her ear. She had forgotten all about him

It barely rung and he answered. "Hello?" he said quickly, desperate to hear her reply.

"Sorry, Tommy," she said. "I had no reception and ended up stranded at the station. But thankfully I ran into our new neighbours and er, they drove me to the place."

"Oh Shirl, I'm really sorry. I should have realised how complicated it would be at this time."

"Yep," exhaled Shirley, "Well, me too. We're a pair of bell-ends... Sorry," said Shirley glancing over towards the driver's seat. She realised the car had stopped, and she took her queue. "Tommy, I think our neighbours have had more than enough of me and my sewer-mouth for tonight. Stay on the line though, babe. I need you to talk me through the locks."