3

Rowan didn't get to sleep for the next few days. She was starving, dehydrated and depressed. She thought that no help would come and she would die alone. But just before the sun set the next week she heard something.                        
        She never heard such sounds and was beginning to worry because she couldn't tell how many creatures were laughing from the distance. Her eyes useless as always. So Rowan waited for it, her head bobbing in the shallows.
      Two children, a brother and sister approached her, she heard the giggling die and she felt the water moved. " It's okay we are nice." The little girl said as she moved in closer. Rowan couldn't understand her so she started to back off. The boy whispered something and the girl gasped.
      Rowan heard her splash out of the ocean and the padding of their feet on the sand. Gone. She wiggled herself up onto the warm soft sand, drifting away into her mind.
      The siblings went back to their small house by the beach. They told their mother that they found a mermaid and they needed to feed it. She thought they were only playing and she didn't want to ruin their little game. So the mother gave they children an assortment of raw fish and they were on their way, trying not to spill the bowl as the raced to the water.
       Rowan went back into her slump as the left hoping to get some sleep or find some food but after awhile of laying on the cold, wet sand she heard them. She did not move. Part of her said,
       "What's the point of living when I'm not living but instead dying."
          The other told her she needed rest. They waddled into the water with quick, weightless steps. They ran up to her and she just laid there, heart pounding and breathing heavily. Silence fell upon them and only the ocean whispered a sound as it rolled onto the lonely sand. Rowan felt something against her lips.

      Fish!!!!!

Rowan jumped up and took it frantically, the shriek of the children was ignored as she found the bowl full with fat, juicy fish. She felt her way to find a broken net the she could use to put her glorious snacks.
       Their mother heard the cries and ran out of the house to wear her children were standing. The mother relaxed when she saw them both standing near the water. She walked up to them slowly and didn't even notice Rowan laying in to waves.

"Hey kiddo's, who's hungry for dinner."

The children cried, "Look at our friend, isn't she beautiful."
      The mother followed the pointed finger of the excited girl. She was shocked and pushed them away from the ocean. Rowan heard nothing and was very confused. For a few minutes it was like they weren't even there. The mother pulled out her phone and called the marine research center.
      Rowan heard muffled talking and strained to hear, even if none of them spoke the same language as her.
      She never heard the family leave from her beach. She waited desperately for them to walk away but it never happened. Crickets sang their song in the deep brush and seagulls cried in the distance. The waves made Rowan bob and slide back and forth through the sallow water. The sea almost rocked her to sleep.
      Something was coming up onto the sand, something with wheels and something big. She heard slamming of rubber against metal and rustling. Rowan was very frightened and could feel her eyes widen. Demanding shouts were trumpeted through the night and mutters followed afterward. Although Rowan could not understand the language she turned her head to listen where ever the voices were coming from.
      Splashed were around Rowan all of a sudden. She panicked and tried to swim backwards but they were all around her. A net came down on her and she was lifted into the air with many hands. She thrashed around and fought against them. She cried and yelled uncontrollably but it did no good. She was laid down on a metal table, strapped down so she could do no harm. They put wet rags on her and sat down while the box she was in bounced and leaned. The mother rushed her children away back to their little beach home away from the scene.