x

listen to "already gone" cover by sleeping at last (or else the feeling won't be there)

Tyler sat quietly at his piano, gazing over the forest that surrounded his backyard. An aching feeling pranged throughout his chests as his fingers grazed across the keys, playing a melody he had learned years earlier, but never knew the feeling would finally mean something to himself.

"Remember all the things we wanted," he sang softly, feeling the coldness in his veins take over as his fingers dances from the chords. Emptiness; Tyler felt empty.

Josh had left three months ago - he wasn't in love anymore. The brunet tried to hide his feelings away from the world as his first love walked through the door and into someone else's life. Late at night, the pain in his chest felt like daggers dragging across his skin - he felt heartbreak.

Countless three A.M.s were spent in solitary, dealing with his mind by himself. Crying from the thought of being alone, and knowing the only person he could ever love was in the hands of another, treating him with all of her being.

"Now all our memories, they're haunted," Tyler said quietly, in an almost whisper. The flashbacks of Josh's smile laced his mind, and the feeling of his rough palms across his cheeks as a way of comforting the younger boy. The late nights spent watching the leaves on the trees shake and the sound of the forest soothing the pair.

"I didn't want us to burn out. I didn't come here to hurt you now I can't stop," Tyler slowly moved to the chorus of the song, a sob working its way up his throat. It felt like fingers wrapping around his neck, clenching his supply to oxygen.

"I don't care, Tyler!" Josh yelled, running his hands through his faded hair. The latter stood in disbelief as he watched his fiancé admit he had lost a the connection.

"I can't do this anymore," Josh broke the silence, looking at the now crying boy. "I can't pretend to love you to protect you anymore - I need to let you free."

"But I love you, Jo-" Tyler began saying, tears rolling down his cheeks. His arms were securely wrapped around his torso as panic set over his body.

He knew nobody could love him.

"Stop it, Tyler. It's over, and I'm sorry," Josh said with one last huff and exited through the front door of the house. The brunet stood in the living room, not moving but observing the door in hope the red-head would return. Seconds felt like minutes, and minutes felt like hours and the hours felt like centuries.

His heart was broken

"Looking at you makes it harder, but I know that you'll find another."

Tyler thought of the girl that now occupied Josh's life, taking over the role that was once his. The two am slow dance sessions was now being taken by another's foot - the midnight jokes carried a different laugh.

He continued to look at old Polaroids that scattered the walls of him and Josh, even when he knew he should take down the memories. How could you leave and forget a moment of your life that kept you alive? How could you cut a life line?

"We were always meant to say goodbye."

Their families disproved the relationship, saying it was a sin for two men to love each other. The pair ignored the judgement, moved away and lived happily together for years. They were enjoying themselves together, living in a small two story house looking into a forest. The roads were quiet and it eased the pair.

"There's no moving on,
So I'm already gone."

Tyler removed his shaking hands from the piano, placing them in his lap. His eyes stared at the black and white keys - his mind scattered across memories he thought he'd lost, or removed.

Missing him felt like tsunamis - crashing waves ruining the preservation of Tyler's mind. His tears were the rain and his shaking shoulders, the earthquake. The brunet was a walking storm, always on the verge of ruining something beautiful.

Josh reminded Tyler there's a reason storms are named after people.

A/N

A short story I wrote at midnight when I was sad.