II

After weeks of being cooped up in the house searching and searching for jobs I got tired of seeing those four walls. So I planned a lunch date with Shawna this afternoon. It was pretty hot outside so I threw on a blue sundress and my nude wedges. I had already done my make up so I put my dreads into a ponytail, put on a pair of gold hoops, grabbed my nude purse and headed out the door.

I wasn't allowed to have a car at the college I attended so my parents sold my old car, kept the money, then purchased me a new one and had it waiting for me when I got home. Considering my old car was a 2010 Nissan Sentra and I now had a 2015 Toyota Camry I knew my parents put up the rest of the money to purchase the car. They would never admit but I knew and was very grateful.

I got to the restaurant in about 10 minutes and coincidentally Shawna was pulling up as well. I couldn't wait to just chill and have girl talk with my best friend. I missed her dearly.

"Heeeyyy baby mama !" I greeted Shawna rubbing on her belly. We hugged and headed inside.

We were seated in a booth by the window. When we were in middle and high school we loved this place ! We would come just for their cheesecake ! We would ask for a booth by the window and talk about everybodies outfit. The ones we loved, the ones we hated, and the ones we didn't even understand. It was our dream to start a fashion company together. But when Shawna's father passed away in 11th grade college was out for her. Her mother couldn't afford it and financial aid kept denying her. After high school Shawna worked her butt off to get to a managerial position so that her job would pay for her education. She started college a year ago. Really proud of her. As for me, my father wasn't paying for 'no fashion school' so it was a bible based college or community college at home. I wanted neither but it was my fathers way or no way.

"So have you had any luck finding a job?" Shawna asked.

"Not quite. I've been looking on Booker T's site all week with no luck."

"That's the only school you've been looking at?"

"Pretty much."

"Why? To please Pastor?"

I didn't respond.

"Naia, you and I both know you don't wanna work there. You don't even wanna be a teacher. That was your second choice for a career. So if you're already in a second choice career at least pick your first choice grade."

"I plan to.... As soon as I move out."

Shawna rolled her eyes and sipped her water.

"But any who... Who is this mystery father?"

Shawna choked on her water at the question. She thought Naia just forgot about it since she hadn't asked anymore since the first time.

"I'm waiting.."

"It's someone you know."

"Okay.."

"You know them really well."

"Who Shawna?!"

"DK."

My mouth dropped wide open. My brother? I couldn't believe it!

"Say something Naia !"

"When did this happen?"

"He was going through a lot with the charges and all that. I bumped into him at the strip club."

"Don't tell me you strip now  !" I interrupted.

"No girl ! I was there with Romeo !"

Romeo was a friend of ours. We all met in third grade and had been inseparable ever since.