IV

I couldn't believe the way my father had acted. I don't know why I thought things would change because I was an adult. He was still the same control freak he had always been. But I couldn't help but think if maybe he was right. I truly loved God and looked forward to church on Sundays. How could I date someone who didn't believe?

"Ms. Williams?"

"Yes?"

"Ms. Lawson will see you now."

I had to take a deep breath and get my mind focused on my interview. I no longer wanted the job I needed it. I followed the receptionist down the hall to a nice sized office where Tim's sister sat waiting.

"Are you Nairobi Williams?"

"Yes ma'am I am."

She reached her hand out, "Timesha Lawson."

I shook her hand.

"Have a seat Ms. Williams. So you just graduated?"

"Yes ma'am. In June."

"And I see you did your intern at a private school in Colorado. Interesting."

"Yes. It was a different but rewarding experience."

"And what subject were you interested in teaching?"

"Well your site said there was only a reading position open."

"If that's what you want. You got it."

"Are you serious? Just like that?"

"Just like that."

"Seriously?"

"Do you want the position or not?"

"Yes ! Yes I want !"

"Great. You start tomorrow. Here's the paperwork you need to go get your background check done. Go today if possible."

"Thank you ! Thank you so much."

"Make sure you thank my brother as well." She winked her eye. I smiled and left her office.

I couldn't wait to get home and snatch all my stuff out of my parents house. I didn't know where I was going but I would sleep in my car before I asked to stay the night there. It was still pretty early which meant I had enough time to gather my things and go before my parents got home from work.

As I pulled into the yard I immediately got sad. Why was my family so screwed up? I loved them dearly but there were some serious issues.
When I got in the house I heard a television.

"Hello?!" I called out.

Tori came from upstairs.

"Hey sis. How'd the interview go?"

"It went great. I got the job."

"That's great Naia !" Tori leaped to hug me.

"But why aren't you in school Tori?"

"Dad was so upset he left and forgot me. I didn't feel like going anyway so I didn't bother calling him."

I shook my head in disgust.

"Naia are you really leaving?"

"Yeah I am."

Tori hung her head low.

"I won't be far tho. I'll be 15 minutes away at Shawna's."
I hope so at least.

Tori shook her head and hugged me again. I felt like I was wrong for leaving my little sister here with these crazy folks. But I wasn't about to apologize just to stay here. Especially when my father was the one who was in the wrong.