Chapter Three (Part one) New Best Friend

Two Days Later
Lily was still working on the homework that Janine gave her, but luckily she was almost caught up. She's been at her Aunt's house since she got back from the hospital. She already knew that the clean-up crew do a very good job, but she couldn't go back there for anything. Just as she was finishing up her essay, her phone rang. Lily immediately rolled her eyes and smiled, "Yes Janine?" "Dude you need to come to my house, there's something i have to show you." Janine said in her excited voice, "Come on, please. It won't take long, promise." Lily knew it would take long, it always does. "Fine. I'll be there soon." Lily said with a big sigh and hung up. She put her work away and went to go grab her keys, but she couldn't find them. She let out a big sigh when she heard a voice behind. "I'm going to guess that you're looking for these." Aunt Amber said while holding up the keys.
"Yes, those ones." Lily said with a blank expression. She always felt comfortable around her AUnt, but it's different now. Her aunt was the one who told her about her brother, but she doesn't want to believe that Amber lied to her. Maybe she doesn't know. Lily thought to herself. Amber tossed the keys over to Lily. LIly went to grab her purse but Amber stopped her, "Where are you going? It's dark outside." Lily slowly turned to her Aunt, "I'm just going over to Janine's house real quick. I won't be gone long." Amber seemed to have a look of hatred in her eyes. She never liked the Montgomerys, but she also had a scared look. "Well, you better get back here tonight. You need all the sleep you can get. After all, the exams are right around the corner." amber gave her a very serious look, "I just don't want you to be misplaced like i was. OK?" Amber's expression softened. Lily closed the distance between them and gave her aunt a hug. "Don't worry Auntie," she smiled, "I'll be home as soon as I can." Amber squeezed her back. Lily let go and grabbed her purse. It didn't take her long to grab her jacket and be out the door. Amber was standing on the porch when Lily pulled out of the driveway.
Janine's house was just five miles away and since it was nighttime, there wasn't a lot of traffic. Lily pulled up to their big Blue and white house. Janine looked out her window and saw Lily pulling up into the driveway. She immediately ran out of her room and down the stairs. Lily started laughing at herself cause she can hear Janine coming to the door. Janine has always acted that way. In less than thirty seconds Janine was outside panting on the porch. Lily was still sitting in her car. Janine started walking towards her when Lily finally got out of the car. She had her back to Janine for a few seconds. She didn't want Janine to know how she felt at that moment, and she felt nauseous. She swallowed the big lump that was forming in her throat and turned to Janine with a smile. "Ok, I'm here. What did you want to show me?" Janine didn't say a word. She just grabbed Lily's hand and started to drag her to the backyard. "It's back here." Janine said through her smile. Lily just rolled her eyes and went along with it. It was almost pitch black outside, but luckily the lights in the house were still on so they could see.
When the two girls finally got to the backyard, Janine let go of Lily's hand and ran over to a dog house. What does she have over there? Lily thought. She jogged over to Janine, who was turned away from her. She was crouching down and turned her head towards Lily. "Look." Janine motioned over to the dog house. There was the family dog, Rascal, laying down and feeding five healthy puppies. "THere was a sixth puppy, but it died when it came out." Janine said with a bit of sadness in her voice. Lily was surprised. She had always wanted a dog but her dad never let her get one. "Why didn't you say anything about your dog being pregnant?" Janine just smirked at her, "Cause I wanted to surprise you. I remember how much you wanted a dog so..." Janine trailed off looking at the puppies again. Lily went closer to the small puppies. Rascal's head perked up when Lily came closer. Lily sat right next to her so Rascal could rest her head in Lily's lap. Lily softly stroked her head and looked at the little black puppies. One of them had a white strip going down their back and another had big white spots. The other three were black. "They're so adorable, Janine," Lily said, "WHo's dog is the dad?" Janine shrugged, "WE think it's the dalmation next door, but it also could be my brother's black lab. We don't know for sure." Janine looked directly at lily, "DO you want one?" Lily snapped her head towards her friend. She gave Janine a 'are you serious?' look. Janine nodded her head to confirm Lily's question. Lily looked back at the puppies. HEr eyes drifted back to the white-striped puppy. "Is this little guy taken?" Lily pointed at the puppy. Janine smiled, "He's all yours, bro." Lily reached over to pet her new puppy. It squirmed a little bit then fell asleep. "Thanks man." She gave Janine a hug. "No problem, Lily. I had to cheer you up somehow." Janine smiled. Lily's phone went off at that moment. "Ah, crap. I have to go." Lily got up and a whine from Rascal. She kissed Rascal on her head and crawled out of the doghouse. She started to jog towards her car with Janine right next to her. When they reached her car they said their goodbyes and hugged one last time. Lily pulled out of the driveway and started to head home.