10 - Doctor

They opened the front door and the smell of breakfast cooking wafted through the air. Aaron and Bonnie had ran home in wolf form. It left them huffing and puffing but the time they saved by running was put to good use. Alex flopped on the couch, Luke left the bags by the door and Zach took it upon himself to give April a full guided tour.
"How was the car ride?" Aaron inquired while mixing a bowl of pancake mix. Bonnie was too focused on watching the bacon in the pan.
"He wasn't as bad as I thought he'd be. We had to compromise and allow him to give her a tour of the house seeing as I made him sit in the passenger seat. I think he's controlling himself well and I know April can handle herself."
Alex allowed her head to drop back down onto the pillow on the couch. She closed her eyes and found peace in the loud room. Just as she was about to slip into a world of dreams and rest, she was interrupted.
"Move"
She didn't bother to open her eyes.
"What happened to your prince charming attitude?" She murmured.
He lifted her legs up and slid onto the couch beside her, placing her legs on his lap and leaning his head back on the chair.
She opened one eye and peaked at him, his lack of response had intrigued her. He's completely exhausted and anyone could see it. Feeling guilty for letting him get to this stage Alex wriggled her legs out of his grip. She swung them off the couch and sat up. Slowly she shimmed closer to Luke. His arms reached out for contact, to relax he needed to have her in his arms. He moved slightly and allowed her to curl into him.
"Awwwwwww the big bad Alexandria Smith is SNUGGLING. Oh it's too much to handle." April's voice brought them out of their bubble.
Alex groaned and everyone else laughed.

"Come on breakfast is ready." Grumbling the tired couple got to their feet and everyone sat around the kitchen table. April sat there and observed. Alex nudged her when she noticed that she wasn't eating. April still didn't move so Zach put a few pancakes on her plate.
"Oh no sorry i'm fine thank you." Aaron and Bonnie slowly looked up.
"Did she just?" He mumbled
"I think she did" Bonnie's voice is slightly higher than usual.
"Rude" Aaron coughed.

April looked around the table confused, searching for an answer.
Luke didn't move his gaze from his plate but took it upon himself to speak up,
"You're new, they made food to welcome you. They tried to be warm and welcoming which they don't do often. You refusing to eat their food is offending them. Are you better than them?"
April sat there in disbelief "of course not"
"Then eat" Luke stared directly into her eyes and gave her a genuine smile, nodding to the full plate of food in front of her. She laughed and happily complied.

After they finished Luke got up to do the dishes.
"No no, I'll do them and Luke you have to contact a certain person to fill them in and make introductions and get things moving. The things that were promised to make this whole thing happen. Sooner the better please."
Luke nodded and brought Zach with him to his office. Aaron and Bonnie made themselves scarce.

April hadn't moved yet. She was too busy admiring the kitchen.
"It's beautiful. It's peaceful. It's so sturdy. You're not worried about the wind knocking it over or it ripping or zips for doors. Funny the little things you miss like an actual building. My room is huge, thank you but I can't accept. You have all be quite generous and I am truly grateful but I don't wish to be a burden."
Alex laughed.
"Did I ever tell you how I met Luke?"
April shook her head.
"I passed out on the side of the road and woke up here. I haven't left since. They looked after me. They cared for me. I fell in love and now this is my home. And April, it's your home now. You might feel out of sorts now but you'll settle in soon."
April felt the tears well up in her eyes as one word repeated in her head, home.
"Thank you" she wrapped her arms around Alex and squeezed her tight.
"Oh sorry" she giggled and rubbed Alex's growing belly.
"You're doing a great job at hiding it." She admired as she eyed up Alex's outfit which consisted of large sweaters/hoodies/jumpers which are often Luke's.