Chapter 4

I woke up groggily the next morning with a bad taste at the back of my throat. I’d ended up having two out of my three owed hot chocolates the night before and had returned to my room so tired I’d forgotten to brush my teeth. I trudged into the kitchen area of the little apartment-like space I shared with my mother and a crumpled piece of paper and handful of banknotes sitting on the bench caught my eye. I recognised my mother’s loopy handwriting immediately and learnt that she would be at the rehearsals all day and that she wanted me to go out and buy something nice for myself. I wondered where she thought I was going to go, in a city I’d only just arrived in without even so much as a map. After getting dressed, I packed my handbag with the money from the bench, some make-up, a compact mirror, my camera, the spare hotel key, and my dog-eared copy of The Secret Garden - a book which had been my favourite since I was little. The reason I’d brought it with me all this way, was that I knew, wherever I was in the world, opening this book to any page could bring me home again. I knew by experience that could be an invaluable thing to have. 

I set out into the chilly London air, pulling my beanie over my ears and crossing the road. I had no idea where I was going but I guess that made it all the more exciting. I recognised the shadow of my excitable seven-year-old self lurking around, anticipating adventures around every corner. I found my way to a busier street filled with flashy shop windows and most people seemed to look like they’d just walked out of a Burberry ad. I noticed what a typically ignorant Aussie I was being, comparing these people around me to the one British label I knew, just because they were British. I wondered if I looked like a tourist. I desperately hoped I didn’t. There was something about this place that just made me feel like I’d been here for years and that I belonged - when really, my denim bag with the worn Australian flag printed on it was a straight out give away. I turned it so the flag print was hiding against my jacket and kept walking, forgetting the cold and embracing my new surroundings. 

I don’t know how long I was walking. I didn’t enter many shops or even a cafe; just being here, in this foreign atmosphere was enough to make me dizzy with elation. It was like my brain had completely floated away in a little fantasy...and when I returned to complete consciousness, I realised I had no idea where I was. Each road and sign seemed to look the same and I tried to retrace my steps but my memory was of no aid. I swore under my breath and pulled out my phone. I’d been gone at least two hours - not the worst possible situation, but that did nothing to change the fact that I’d be out here for another two if I couldn’t figure out how to get back to the hotel. 

“Hello?” Thank God she’d picked up.

“Mum,” I breathed.

“What is it honey? Are you - DANIEL, DID I NOT TELL YOU TO MOVE THESE CORDS?! - one second love - DO YOU WANT SOMEONE TO BLOODY FALL TO THEIR DEATH AFTER TRIPPING BECAUSE YOU COULDN’T FOLLOW ONE SIMPLE INSTRUCTION?!” Mum was usually quite a calm being. I think this Daniel person would take a lot of convincing of that, however. 

“Sorry about that. Is everything alright?” She had regained her normal tone, thankfully.

“Erm, well no actually. I’m kinda lost.” I braced myself for her reaction. I didn’t want her to be too worried but I also didn’t want to sit out here all night in the cold either. 

“God, Charlotte! You could have picked a better time for this!” Oh, fantastic. I wanted at least a little bit of worrying! “Can you see any, I don’t know....landmarks around you?”

“Does Topshop count as a landmark?”

“No, there are a million of those around here. Street signs?” I paced down the street and read out a couple of road signs.

“Alright, I’ll be there as quickly as I can. Don’t move from that area but don’t stay in the one place either. A teenager, a female, a tourist; you’re a sitting duck. Don’t make eye contact with anyone and I’ll give you a ring when I’m close.” She hung up before I could answer.